A Quick Recap of NYC College Fashion Week

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

There are few better places than New York City to hold a fashion show. On Saturday September 30, thirty-eight young women traipsed down a steel gray runway for College Fashion Week. Adorned on them were the latest trends for the fall. Blaring music followed along to the beat of their steps as fashion bloggers seated along the runway scribbled notes and snapped some photos.

Trinidad Cordona kicked off the show with his charismatic and energetic hit song, “Jennifer.” Styled in all black, he danced rhythmically along the runway as colorful, bright lights pulsated along to his singing. His performance set the show off right with a lively buzz.

The new trends showcased on the runway were definite head turners. Primark, a head sponsor for College Fashion Week, started off the show with some well styled outfits. Black and maroon were often juxtaposed together in the form of a maroon top and skintight black pants. Leather pieces and black booties were also key trends, as were light velvet dresses and pale feathery jackets. Edgy, yet girly was a definite theme in this collection.

Next up on the runway was AVEC LES FILLES, with its “moto chic” aesthetic. A couple of fanny packs made it onto the runway, along with the signature zippers across dresses and jackets that moto chic is known for. Strappy heels overtook the few boots being worn. Sheer black lace was a definite pattern in this line, pairing traditionally classic and edgy styles together.

After came street chic looks from Chaser Brand featuring accessories from Primark. Jeans were of course included, as well as leather pants. Hmm, seems like there’s a trend going on here? Several standout pieces included a faux fur jacket, the classic jean jacket, and a shiny silver backpack paired with a long gray dress.  

Ending the show was Vici, with its evening collection. Earthy fall colors and florals ruled the runway. Primark bags were also worn with a few outfits. The overall aesthetic for this collection was a modern chic.

For those who attended College Fashion Week screenings, an assortment of beauty samples were offered. Bed Head’s Mini Masterpiece hairspray, Brow Power’s Universal Brow Pencil, Bumble and bumble’s prêt-à-powder dry shampoo, thickening conditioner, and hairdresser’s invisible oil shampoo as well as a glitter eye top coat from Ulta and mascara from Roller Lash were offered.

Starting off with Bed Head’s hairspray, it had a light clean scent to it. In no way did the product itself have a heavy or overpowering effect either.

Brow Power’s eyebrow pencil advertises a “universal taupe” color. For those with lighter eyebrows, light strokes are necessary to pull off a natural look. For those with darker eyebrows, a harder press on the skin with the pencil is instructed. On one side of the applicator is the oval tipped pencil and on the other is a spoolie brush to groom eyebrows and blend the pencil, which it does a good job at.

Bumble and bumble’s dry shampoo did not disappoint. While I was hesitant to use it since I am skeptical toward dry shampoo to begin with, it left my hair feeling smooth and light. Bb’s shampoo and conditioner also imbued my hair with softness and volume.

In regards to the glitter eye coat from Ulta, it left a shimmering effect on my eyelids, perfect for a night out.

What makes the mascara wand from Roller Lash unique is its hook shape that is designed to lift up and curl lashes. As someone with absurdly thin eyelashes to begin with, I can personally testify that this wand successfully lifted and curled them.

Viewing eye-popping fashion designs on the runway and getting free beauty products certainly make for a fun night. College Fashion Week, it’s been real. We’ll see you next year!

Photo Credits: HC Instagram Story, 2, HC Instagram Story, HC Instagram Story, Author’s Own, HC Instagram Story

Kelly is the President/ Campus Correspondent at HC Pitt. She is a senior double majoring in English writing and communication rhetoric while pursuing a certificate in digital media. Writing has always been a passion of hers, and she hopes to work in book publishing and a best-selling author one day. She works as a tutor at Pitt's Writing Center and an intern at Creative Media Agency Inc. In her free time, she works on her novel, reads stacks of books and explores Pittsburgh with her friends.