Pumpkin Spice Latte: 5 Ways To Make Your Favorite Fall Drink Healthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Since 2003, Starbucks has welcomed the fall season with one of our favorite autumn beverages: the Pumpkin Spice Latte. This September marked the ten-year anniversary of Starbucks’ most popular seasonal beverage. In the past decade, we’ve consumed more than 200 million of these lattes. No less than four dollars and 380 calories in one 16-ounce “grande” cup. That comes to $800 million dollars and 76 billion calories. Enough calories to keep the average collegiate running for more than forty thousand years! Before you go to your favorite “We Proudly Brew Starbucks Coffee” location, think twice about the calories, fat, and sugar intake.

The typical PSL with whipped cream contains 380 calories, 13 grams of fat (8 of which are saturated), and a massive 49 grams of sugar (more than twice the daily recommended amount). Enjoying two per week can add up to a weight gain of nearly three pounds by the time you head home for Thanksgiving! This fall, enjoy your Pumpkin Spice Latte and your healthy body by learning how to order smarter and drink healthier.

1. Switch to nonfat milk. Asking for nonfat milk instead of two percent cuts the amount of saturated fat in half, bringing the total fat to a reasonable 7 grams. Keep your heart healthy with this simple switch that will also save you 50 calories. On top of that, you’ll still get the protein and calcium all busy college students need.

2. Ditch the whipped cream. This sweetened topping adds 70 calories and four grams of saturated fat to your drink. Next time, skip the whipped cream and sprinkle on some cinnamon instead. According to some researchers, cinnamon can help regulate blood sugar and even lower cholesterol!

3. Ask for half the pumps. A 16-ounce grande PSL has four pumps of pumpkin spice syrup. At 35 calories and 7.5 grams of sugar each, every pump takes you one step closer to a major sugar crash. Instead of falling asleep in your 9:00 AM lecture, ask for only two pumps. You’ll get used to it! Switching to half the syrup will save you 15 grams of sugar and 70 calories.

4. Order a Tall. While a grande has almost 400 calories, a tall PSL has only 300. Save 80 calories, 6 grams of fat, and 11 grams of sugar by simply choosing a smaller size.

5. Make your own! If you’re feeling adventurous and have the time, try making your own Pumpkin Spice Latte for less than 100 calories. This easy, dorm-friendly recipe uses unsweetened almond milk, stevia, and plenty of cinnamon to give you a delicious and healthy version of your favorite fall drink.

Pumpkin Spice Latte

1 cup hot coffee

½ cup hot unsweetened vanilla almond milk

2 Tbsp. canned pumpkin

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 Tbsp. stevia

1. Combine the almond milk, pumpkin, spices, and stevia. Mix until smooth.

2. Pour hot coffee into a mug and top with almond milk mixture.

Ordering a grande Pumpkin Spice Latte with these changes will give you a latte that is lower in fat, added sugar and calories. Order a tall with these changes, and you’ve got a delightful 155-calorie latte that’s perfect for satisfying your PSL craving. Next time you’re at Starbucks, order your Pumpkin Spice Latte with the confidence that you’re on your way to a healthier body!

Sources: Medical News Today, Starbucks Menu, Starbucks News

Photo Credit: 1, 2

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt