A PSA to My White Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Now that I have your attention, this is not a shout out to one of my white friends. This is a general message that is directed to anyone who doesn’t go to a social or cultural event because they may be the only [insert race] there. As a young woman of color, I think that this outlook on exploring the different experiences at Pitt is almost tragic. If I refused to go somewhere because I was worried I would be the only black girl there, I would not even go to class.

Recently, my friends and I were attending the Meet the Greeks event in the William Pitt Union and as we were walking to the room that held the Greek organizations from the National Pan-Hellenic Council, our Asian friend stopped in her tracks and blurted out, “Wait a minute! We’re going to see the black Greeks?! I can’t go to this, it will be so awkward.”

It was then that my other black friends and I looked at each other and just shook our heads. Nobody cares if you are white, brown, yellow, or red for that matter. The event was open to everyone, and there are white people in the traditionally African-American fraternities and sororities (and vice versa). However, I can understand why some people hesitate to attend these events because it would be “awkward” or because of the worry that everybody will stare because “I’m the only white girl.”

If it was the celebration of Navratri Garba held by the Hindu Students Association or the Chinese New Year’s celebration then I doubt anybody would feel this kind of awkwardness. I feel as though something about the mention of an event sponsored by a group such as BAS (Black Action Society) stops some students from enjoying an experience as enlightening as listening to Hill Harper speak, or from enjoying the Steel City Step Show because they think they would not be welcome at such an event. Stereotypes of black people (as with every variant race, creed, religion, hair color…) run rampant in our society, but this does not mean that they are true. By going to these events and getting to know students of other ethnicities, you will discover that, in the end, everybody just wants to have a good time and express themselves, whether it be through dance, debates, or even stepping. And let me just say, everyone should witness an impromptu stroll session on Towers patio from our talented fraternities and sororities or learn from motivational speakers such as Nikki Giovanni and Michael Eric Dyson. Although these events are hosted by BAS, everyone can benefit from listening to these great and influential speakers. Never have I once received a flyer from them which stated that “only black students may attend” and they constantly tell people that everyone is welcome. Just an FYI, they really mean it!

The great thing about attending a school as diverse as Pitt is that there are so many opportunities to learn about different cultures and to break down those stereotypes that prevent people from attending these events and meeting new people. Sure, you go to various multi-cultural events on campus, but you avoid black events because you’re afraid someone will look at you like you’re crazy and curse you out for walking into the room. Honestly, no one gives a damn if you’re the only white person at the Spirit House fashion show just as nobody cares that I’m the only black girl in my cardio Pilates class. So please, to anyone reading this, go out and take advantage of all that Pitt has to offer and don’t let the possibility of an awkward moment stop you from making new friends and gaining new experiences!

Photo Credit: Google Images

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt