Piada: The Best Italian Food in Oakland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

You might have seen a new store being built a few months ago on Forbes Avenue, close to Meyran. It looked a little intriguing, but you had no idea what it was going to be. A new café? Finally, a 24-hour diner for students? What about a fancy new high tech bar? It was none of these things, but instead it was something better. It turned out to be Piada Italian Street Food. 

What’s Piada? Piada is a thin, Italian flatbread filled with delicious, fresh ingredients rolled into a burrito-like style. They also have hearty salads, fulfilling pasta dishes, and sides that include the best cannoli chip I’ve ever tasted. Everything can be personalized at an extremely reasonable price! It’s basically an Italian version of Chipotle. For example, I ordered the Diavolo Piada: spicy Diavolo sauce (spice level= 6/10), grated parmesan, creamy parmesan, romaine and I made sure to ask for steak as my meat choice.

Everyone working there was extremely friendly, upbeat, and helpful in line as my order was made. The atmosphere is bright, yet comforting. There’s ample seating between the varying sized tables, and bars located throughout the decently sized space. I looked around and instantly felt like Piada was a place I could spend hours at, working on homework or taking a break from reality. 

The lights hang low, but not so low where you feel like you’ll hit your head on them. My favorite part is probably the drinks station because it’s a rectangular white table with a sign above, clearly designating it the soda bar. One side has regular fountain drinks, in the middle you can find orange (!) straws, and on the other side are teas and Italian sodas. 

I tried the berry soda first, followed by orange and I loved them both! I feel like they will definitely be the drinks of the summer, because they are fizzy, bright in taste, and explosive on your taste buds. Piada’s food looks light in appearance with the vibrant greens, reds, and yellows of the vegetables. Once you dig in, however, it reminds you of classic, warm Italian food on a chilly, rainy day. Finally, Piada has one dessert that is listed in their sides. I never was a big fan of cannoli. It is something I choose to shy away from when at an Italian restaurant.

Yet, there was something about taking that first bite, then another into what one of the chefs called “deconstructed cannoli.” Cannoli chips are delicious, light, crunchy yet soft at the same time. You dip the pastry into the filling (which I believe is cream cheese here), rather than the pastry being filled with it. I left feeling extremely satisfied, my tummy full, and a smile on my face. Make sure you check out Piada Italian Street Food on the corner of Forbes Avenue and Meyran this semester. You won’t be disappointed! 

Photo Credits: All pictures are author’s own

Attending the University of Pittsburgh and just choosing to be happy every single day! :)
Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.