sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Online Dating: The Good and the Way, Way Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

In a world where someone liking your profile photo, sending you a Snapchat, or sneaking into your DM’s could mean it’s on, why not try online dating? It’s fun to have the power of swiping left or right on a never ending list of cute 20-somethings! How about the time you had the balls to send a winky face to that totally hot guy in your math class you happened to match with? It’s shameless and simple, but what are the ups and downs of this mystery world they call online dating? Is it worth it?

Here’s what you need to know…

1. There are different websites for different intentions—make sure you’re in the right place.

Just like you wouldn’t go to the club looking for a lifetime partner, Tinder is not the place to find “the one,” nor is Grindr. Although, yes he’s handsome, and, yes, he has a picture with his Mom, no, he is not interested in taking you to coffee first. Tinder is a wonderful place where you can chat and fulfill all your dirty fantasies. It’s a place where you’re likely to receive this message…

If you’re looking for something a little more serious try OkCupid, POF, or Zoosk.

2. Catfishing.

It happens; it’s a thing. People are scary. Regardless of how fun it is to watch the show, no one wants to be that person who falls in love with a 40-year-old lesbian in south Florida by accident. What are the odds of getting catfished? It depends; Tinder requires users to connect through Facebook, so it’s harder to create a fake profile. This way, it’s easier to do some Facebook creeping and confirm someone isn’t scary, weird, or secretly 32. Any website that allows people to create their own profile and add pictures from their computer is going to have a higher level of catfishes. Look for a website that’s well known and that you’ve heard of before. Ask around and see if someone has tried it before! Most importantly though, make sure you’re cautious about giving out your information. Ask to be friends on Facebook, talk on Skype or over the phone, and ask to meet in a public place.

3. Just be yourself!

For a lot people, it’s easier to talk over the Internet. People can genuinely get to know each other without the anxiety of making the first move. A lot of websites have questions you can answer to help match you up with people of similar interests. A lot of times, apps like Tinder allow you to be totally candid and honest. Either you’re hooking up or not…and you don’t have to awkwardly pretend to be friends on Monday.

4. There are a lot of options…

It can be a nice confidence booster to have people complimenting you or to match with 20 people in one sitting. It’s nice to know you’re wanted. It’s great to know that as soon as they turn into a f**kboi you can move right on to the next one, but what if you really like them? When do you know it’s time to stop swiping and settle down? It can be hard to give up the endless power, but if things start to become serious with someone, remember one person in real life is better than 1,000 on a website. Be honest about what you want and give things a chance. Don’t be embarrassed about meeting online – own it! But hey, you can still tell your Mom some cute story about how you met when he accidentally spilled his coffee on you at Starbucks and “you just knew he was the one.”

Image credit; 1, 2, 3

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt