One, Two, Trendy: Easy Ways to Upgrade Your Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

“A little goes a long way.” This famous saying couldn’t be any more true when it comes to outfits. There have been many-a-times when I pick out an outfit with high anticipation, just to look in the mirror and feel that I’m almost there. For that reason, I’ve started to pay a bit more attention to the little things- I’m talking everything from rings, shoes, socks, hair accessories, anything that can be used to amp up your outfit!

So you know you need to add something to make the outfit feel complete, but where do you start? Head to toe, the choice is yours.

Changing up your hair is a great and free place to start. Whatever you’re used to (say you wear it down on the reg) pull it back, or vice-versa. For those pulling it back, I’d recommend a slicked back high and tight bun, a high fashion yet relatable look. However, I’m the first to understand that high hair doesn’t work for all face shapes. Luckily, fishtail braids are all the rage as well, There are plenty of YouTube tutorials on how to get the job done, and for those with thinner hair try teasing and hairspraying before braiding! Not only will this add volume to the braid, but will hold better throughout the day. This will allow you to keep your face framed with hair, while still trying something different.

Headbands can also be used to give an outfit a completed look. For the sake of reusability and longevity, I tend to go neutral. Stretchy lace headbands or golden/silver-beaded headbands will match a good majority of articles in your closet, while still making the outfit stand out.

Next up: necklaces. I consider necklaces to be a widely underrated, but highly convertible accessory. A long plain gold or silver (or both!) chain will become your new BFF if it isn’t already. Don’t be afraid to wear these for any occasion—it’ll add just enough glam without being too “in your face” about it. Likewise for bracelets! Bangles are a fall-must, and can be worn with nearly any outfit. Alex and Ani have set the bar, but a little color never hurt anybody. Stretchy beaded bracelets will add a pop of color amongst the gold and silver, drawing attention to your arm candy.

Last but not least, don’t forget about your feet! Socks show a lot about a person’s personality. Ruffled, long, colored, patterned…I’ve seen it all. Pair with the ever-famous oxford shoe or new fall booties that you’ve been dying to wear and watch as your outfit goes from a 9 to a 10 with one simple move!

You can never go wrong with simple accessories! But with that in mind, don’t be afraid to be bold and fabulous—when you think you look good, you surely do.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt