Movie Adaptations that *Almost* Size Up to the Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

No movie can ever replace the elicitation of words on the mind’s eye.  Creative imagery is an innate skill present even in the most lack luster people.  Conflict arises because of interpretation: how I interpret a scene from a book differs from how Jawn pictures Willy Wonka’s chocolate river.  It is challenging for movies to truly capture the magic of well written books.  However, there are a few that size up.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s

Unless Henry Mancini plays music upon opening the book like a birthday card, the movie deserves this win.

The Green Mile

A runtime over three hours long accounts for the accurate depiction of this novel.  The movie leaves out a few minor details, but overall sticks to the storyline.

To Kill a Mockingbird

I hated watching this movie freshman year of high school.  It left out major events, such as Jem reading to dying Dubose as punishment.  A camera cannot capture the depths of racial injustice, lessons taught in the book or the feelings of a black man convicted of raping a white woman in the 1960s, however this movie tries.  The movie won numerous awards in 1963, although this is meaningless considering how political and financially influenced the white cult of “award shows” were, and still are, #oscarssowhite.

Silence of the Lambs

Performances by Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins and Buffalo Bill were perfectly executed.  Watching Hannibal dance to the Goldberg Variations after knifing a guard’s face off was unprecedented and iconic.  Though, I do not think Bach intended his music to be consumed in that manner.  This movie pairs well with fava beans and a nice chianti.

American Psycho

“Feed me a stray cat.”  “Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?”  “I’m into, uh…. well, murders and executions mostly.”  Patrick Bateman is scary insane or maybe imaginary, who knows?

The Shining

Kubrick ran actors into the ground trying to perfect each scene.  With improvised quotes and amazing characters, Kubrick uses King’s novel more as a guideline than a script, even Johnny agrees this movie is great.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Please forgive me, Roald Dahl, but this movie is stupendous.  Nothing can compare to Gene Wilder in his prime and the horrifying, LSD-inspired boat scene that continues to puzzle us as adults.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Corrine

Pitt '21

Corrine is majoring in Neuroscience, minoring in Chemistry and French, and pursuing a Sustainability Certificate.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt