This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name: Mia Pauley

Year: Junior

Major: Biological Science, Chemistry Minor, Conceptual Foundations of Medicine Certificate

Fun Fact: I have a very big Greek family, just like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, except our chemical of choice is bleach instead of Windex.

Meet Mia Pauley, the girl that we’re convinced doesn’t sleep, even though she swears she does. Mia is not only working on a major, minor and certificate, but is also involved (not to mention leading) some of the major organizations on Pitt’s campus. On top of all of that, she still finds time to hang out with her friends, watch TV, and most importantly, sleep. Mia, please teach us your ways.

HC: So tell us, what organizations are you involved with on campus?

Mia: I am the president of Colleges Against Cancer, I am a fitness instructor with HealthyU, I’m a Resident Assistant in Tower A, as well as a teaching assistant for Bio 2.

HC: How did you become a fitness instructor?

Mia: In high school I wasn’t fit, marching band was the extent of my physical activity. When I came to college I decided I wanted a change. I started taking PEDC classes and HealthyU Zumba classes, and I really loved them. I took the same Zumba instructor for 3 semesters, and really fell in love with the dance. I then signed up to take a certification class in New York, and here I am, teaching a class of my own!

HC: Wow, how do you find free time?

Mia: Well, I will never compromise my sleep, it’s very important to me. I also allow myself to unwind and watch TV for at least an hour a day, as well as eat as many meals as possible with my boyfriend Jake. I hold on to the small things in life.

HC: What is your favorite TV show?

Mia: I really enjoy Survivor. I’ve watched it for years and I’ve always dreamed about being on it and kicking some serious butt.

HC: I’m sure you would kick butt. Speaking of, I hear you’re kicking butt being the president of Colleges Against Cancer. Tell us a little bit about that organization. Oh, and by the way, thank you for getting it inside at the COST Center this year.

Mia: I’ve been involved with CAC since freshman year, and I have found it fulfilling and a lot of fun. My grandmother passed away when I was young from cancer, so this club is very important to me. Now I organize Pitt’s Relay For Life, which is a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. Our goal this year is to raise $100,000. If you would like to donate go to PittRelay.org!

HC: You’ve made it more than halfway through college, with one of the toughest majors at Pitt. Any advice for the Her Campus readers?

Mia: Oh gosh, I can’t believe we’re going to be seniors next year! Anyway, I think the most important thing is to know what is important to you. When you know what’s important, prioritizing becomes a lot easier. Also, make sure you leave time to make memories and experience all that Pittsburgh has to offer. But, at the same time, be able to sit down and study when you have to. The years will fly by and one poor grade in one class won’t mean that much, it’s the experience as a whole that matters.

Image Credit: Photos provided by Mia

the dreaming realistH2P'16
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt