Meet Rachel Evans, ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Majors: Neuroscience and Religious Studies

Minor: Chemistry

Her Campus: Where are you from?

Rachel Evans: I am from Scranton, Pennsylvania.

HC: Why did you come to Pitt?

Rachel: I came to Pitt because it is far away from home, and I wanted to try something new. I’ve only gone to small schools all of my life. I loved it, but I also loved the idea of larger schools.

HC: What are you involved in here at Pitt?

Rachel: I am a Resident Assistant and a General Chemistry Teaching Assistant. I do research under the UPMC Department of Psychiatry. I am a member of NRHH (National Residence Hall Honorary) and Project Sunshine. I also volunteer at the Boys and Girls club and the Children’s Hospital.

HC: What is Project Sunshine?

Rachel: It is a medically-related volunteer organization that works with kids that live with medical challenges and their families.

HC: What got you interested in Neuroscience?

Rachel: I thought that the brain was really interesting and wanted to study why people do the things that they do. It’s pretty interesting to see how the body actually functions.

HC: What about Religious Studies? Why did you decide to pursue that?

Rachel: I went to Catholic school from K-12th grade, but I never got to study other religions. So I was really interested in looking beyond Catholicism and educating myself about all of other kinds of beliefs. It’s complicated but rather fascinating!   

HC: What are you looking forward to this semester/coming years?

Rachel: This semester, I’m taking a college road trip during spring break to visit a bunch of colleges and my friends, as well as my brother. Also, this summer, I will be studying abroad in Tanzania, which will be really exciting. Also, I’m currently a sophomore, but am on the pre-med track, so I am hoping that within a few years, I will be in medical school!  

Photo credits: photos provided by Ms. Rachel Evans 

Hello, I'm a junior at the University of Pittsburgh, studying Political Science and Economics, minoring in Spanish. I'm excited nevertheless to be able to share some of my thoughts with the rest of you all!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt