Little Ways to Be Kind to Yourself When You’re Feeling Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Do you ever wake up and just feel off? Do you ever have those days where you just feel numb inside, like you can’t function? As someone with depression, I certainly have these days. Sometimes life just gets you down and you don’t know how to pull yourself back up. When you have these moments, there are always a few little things that might help you feel just a little bit better again. Whether you suffer from a mental illness or are just having a rough day, here is a list of things to try in order to self-sooth and combat those negative emotions. Self-soothing strategies are all physical and simply involve comforting and being kind to yourself. Due to their involvement with your physical body, I’ve sorted them into the senses that they each target. 

Touch

-Relax in the sun

-Change into comfortable clothes

-Get a massage

-Stretch

-Pet a dog or a cat

-Wear jewelry you like to play with

-Take a bubble bath

Sight

-Watch a funny movie or TV show

-Watch Youtube videos of cute animals or babies

-Read a good book

-Look at pictures of loved ones

-Look at pictures of places that you would like to visit

-Go to a museum

-Star Gaze

-Go on a walk in a pretty area

-Light a candle and watch the flame

Taste

-Eat a comforting meal

-Drink hot chocolate, tea, or coffee

-Buy a special food you don’t normally spend money on

-Eat a healthy food, like hummus

-Take the time to savor every bite

Smell

-Bake cookies

-Go for a walk in nature and breathe in the fresh air

-Light a scented candle

Sound

-Listen to relaxing music

-Listen to exciting music

-Sing to yourself

-Say positive statements to yourself

-Play a musical instrument

-Listen to nature

Some of these have been very beneficial to me and they might be helpful for you too! Try and come up with your own self-soothing strategies that you can do when you are upset, overwhelmed or just not having the best day. Instead of trying to deal with situations by doing something that might hurt you, try something pleasurable that provides comfort. Never forget the importance of nurturing your body and soul.

Photo Credit: 1

Hi! I'm a junior at Pitt and I finally learned how to pump my own gas (But only at some gas stations - sorry, I'm from Jersey). I'm a big fan of cities, fast cars, alternative music and thinking outside the bun. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt