A Letter to Future Study Abroad Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

To the students about to embark on a life-changing journey:

I would like to start off by congratulating you on making what I hope you soon consider to be the best decision of your collegiette career, and perhaps even of your entire life. While I know your head must be filled with racing thoughts, concerns, worries, and questions regarding your upcoming semester, I want to offer a few pieces of advice that I hope you keep in mind during your time abroad.

First, I want to tell you a little bit about me. I have always been relatively quiet and I seldom step out of my comfort zone. I’m somewhat of a homebody and I come from a very, very close-knit family. That being said, I would have never pictured myself leaving everything behind and spending almost four months in a foreign country. To be honest, it was just never something I thought I actually could do, since I’m so close with my family. But, in October 2014, it occurred to me that I had to take this leap of faith, for I had a strong feeling that it would be a great adventure for me. So, I made perhaps the biggest decision I have ever made — the decision to spend my spring semester abroad. This decision shocked some of my friends, family members, and even myself, but something inside me was telling me that it was the right decision. If I didn’t step completely out of my comfort zone then, would I ever?

On January 15, 2015, myself, along with my hopes, my fears, and my 80+ pounds of luggage, hopped on a plane at JFK Airport and flew across the Atlantic Ocean to the city that I now consider to be a second home — Florence, Italy. While I can easily count the days that I was abroad, the amount of money that I spent (spoiler…it was a lot), and the places I was lucky enough to visit, my personal growth from this experience is simply immeasurable.

Now let’s get to the good stuff, the reason I’m writing this letter to you — to offer you some words of wisdom. I hope you take these suggestions into consideration as you spend the next few months living out your dream.

Be open and flexible.

I really can’t stress this enough. Being placed in a completely new living situation, country, and culture is undoubtedly a giant adjustment for one to make, but it’s important to keep an open mind throughout this whole experience. I’ll admit it, I’m definitely a bit uptight, in the sense that I have a need to have everything planned out, but I quickly found out that I couldn’t let that trait stick with me during my time abroad.

Not everything is going to work out as planned.

You’re going to face a whole lot of obstacles and unusual situations in the next few months. Your flight might get delayed, you may miss your train, or you may get lost in a big city…just to name a few. At the time, these circumstances may seem like the worst thing in the world, but they will undoubtedly make for the most interesting stories. Please believe me when I say that by embracing, rather than resisting, these inevitable twists that life throws at you, you will do wonders for your personal growth.

Put yourself out there.

Talk to people. Make friends. They say that the friends you make abroad are going to be your friends for life and I’m here to tell you that I firmly believe that’s true. The situations and obstacles you are placed in with the friends you make are simply unexplainable to those not involved. So, even if you’re not typically outgoing, it’s crucial to push yourself to speak up and meet new people. You’ll form some very unique bonds with certain individuals and create memories that you’ll cherish for your whole life.

Don’t be afraid to stray from your core friend group.

While it’s definitely nice to have a solid group of friends to travel with, get dinner with, or go out with, you’ll most likely find yourself in a situation where you want to do something that your usual group of friends doesn’t want to do. And that’s okay. Everybody has their own preferences, but don’t let somebody else’s desires prevent you from doing what you want to do; you’ll only regret it. Go out and explore the city by yourself. Take a trip with a different group of people. Go try out that café or restaurant you’ve been dying to go to. Doing things on your own will lead to a greater sense of independence, which will certainly enhance your overall experience.

Document your experiences…even the bad ones.

Whether it’s writing in a journal, creating a blog, or taking tons of pictures, your future self will sincerely thank you for taking the time to document the things you do, the people you meet, and the feelings you feel. Write down all the good things that happen, but also some of the not-so-good things. There will be good days and there will be bad days, but they’re all part of the experience. I encourage you to keep a journal and write about your personal challenges…whether you’re homesick, confused, disappointed, or lonely, writing it all out could help you comprehend your feelings, and looking back at those times might help you overcome future challenges you may face.

Be present.

Put your phone away. Don’t constantly check social media. You’ll be able to absorb so much more of the environment around you if you keep your phone out of sight while you’re out exploring. When we’re on our phones, we tend to become completely oblivious to the world around us. There’s so much to see out there, so take in all the sights, sounds, and smells surrounding you and appreciate the precious moment you’re in. Your experience will go by so quick and you’ll only regret the countless hours you spend scrolling through Facebook and Instagram. I’m not saying to completely disconnect from social media, since it’s an important aspect of our lives for several different reasons. However, be cautious of how much time you spend on these platforms, as checking them too frequently can often lead to FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) or homesickness.

Nervous fear means you’re doing something worth doing.

Just before I said goodbye to my dad at the airport — nerves completely through the roof and trying my best not to cry — I received an email from my absolute favorite professor and the last line read, “Nervous fear means you’re doing something worth doing.” As I stood there, I realized that I was doing something worth doing; I could just feel it. I couldn’t think of anything more fitting that I could have read right before my departure. I hope you find this useful, too.

I hope you realize just how lucky you are to have this life-changing, eye-opening opportunity. I hope that you cherish each and every moment you spend there and don’t take one second for granted. I hope you soon consider your host city a home away from home and always save a special place in your heart for it. I hope that you step out of your comfort zone and do things you normally wouldn’t do. I hope you see the world in a new light. I hope you learn to appreciate the new cultural differences you are exposed to. And, lastly, I hope you find your time abroad to be as fulfilling as I found mine to be, and that you return home as a better version of yourself — with newfound confidence, endless amounts of stories to share, and newly discovered passions.

Best wishes and safe travels,

Emily

All photos provided by author.

Emily Kearns is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh. She is pursuing a dual major in Communication and Business, along with a certificate in Digital Media.
Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.