In the Know: Zen Pencils

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Everyone once in a while, when we decide to hunt through the wonderful Internet, we find ourselves on websites such as Tumblr, Pinterest, and other time-wasting sites. Recently, I was introduced to a site that was actually useful, fun, and even inspirational. This site is called Zen Pencils. It was created by freelance cartoonist Gavin Aung, who decided to make a cartoon blog after working in the graphic design industry.

This site is what we know today as zenpencils.com. If you visit it, you’ll find inspirational poems that are created in comic book form to convey their messages. I’ve never been very into comics, but Zen Pencils does it right. It is especially beautiful because the words are from some of the greatest writers, such as C.S. Lewis, Emily Dickinson, J.K. Rowling, and many more. The following are some of my favorite Zen Pencils pieces.

This one is Zen Pencil’s representation of C.S. Lewis’ “To Love at All” excerpt from his book The Four Loves. It is about the risk of falling in love and how it is sometimes hard to let your guard down and to give someone your heart. You can read the full comic here.

This one is about society’s obsession with social media based off of the podcast host of “WTF with Marc Maron,” and his view about the social media generation. Read the entire comic here.

This comic comes from psychologist and writer Timothy Leary. I really love this one because it is all about breaking the mold and embracing your uniqueness. Here is the comic in its entirety.

There is so much more to explore on this site, and you all should definitely take a look. Sometimes we all need a little inspiration or even a reminder of things we already know, and Zen Pencils can be the right place for you! Experience famous quotes in poems depicted in a modern way. Stay in the know with zenpencils.com

Source for background on zenpencils: About Zen Pencils

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt