In the Know: The 20/20 Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Whether you know Justin Timberlake from N*SYNC, Friends with Benefits, or from the Facebook founding movie The Social Network, most can agree that he is a heck of an entertainer. MTV news, the Huffington Post, and Rolling Stone magazine are all talking about the release of Justin’s new album The 20/20 Experience. Justin has released two other solo albums: Justified in 2002 and FutureSex/LoveSounds in September of 2006 which sold over 10 million copies worldwide; and had everyone all for JT.

Just to jog your memory, the top songs of 2006 were “Over my Head” by The Fray, “Buttons” by the Pussycat Dolls ft. Snoop Dog, and “Run It” by Chris brown. Justin’s album brought a blend of beat boxing, pop, hip hop, and the smooth R&B vocals to the music sound of that time. He was going for a fresh sound and working with all the right people, including Timbaland, who has worked with many artists such as the late Aaliyah, Missy Elliott, Jay-Z, and many more. With such great help by his side, this album was to be a success. I know that everyone was bringing sexy back in 2006 or telling an ex or enemy to cry them a river. Justin was in his prime, and now he is back!

In today’s world, mainstream pop and hip hop have become a bit tiring. It seems as though lyrics no longer matter and people who barely have talent are getting record deals. So, when I first heard that Justin Timberlake was coming out with a new album, I was thrilled! I was ready for JT to sweep me off my feet with something fresh and original that would stay true to him as an artist. I was nervous that he would pull a new school Usher and focus on dubstep and techno and throw away his R&B roots.

I immediately started searching for his single “Suit & Tie,” hoping for a miracle. I opened Spotify, searched “Suit & Tie,” and the first thing I hear is a dream-like sequence with piano and a drum beat followed by JT singing, “I be on my suit and tie sh*t, tie sh*t.” I was unimpressed; the lyricism was cheap, and I feel that I should have been hooked within the first 15 seconds. Luckily for Justin, I listened to the rest of the song, and as the verses and chorus came through, I was a bit more pleased. Mr. Timberlake had a jazzy feel in his voice along with the background music. I had hope for this new single. Overall I liked it, but it didn’t “wow” me. I’m aware that I’m not some big-time producer like Simon Cowell when he used to be on American Idol, but sometimes you know what moves you and what doesn’t.  

However, I did like a song called “Mirrors,” which has background vocals, beat boxing, and other simple sounds. Unlike “Suit & Tie,” “Mirrors” starts out with the lyrics, “Aren’t you somethin’ to admire, cause your shine is somethin’ like a mirror. And I can’t help but notice, you reflect in this heart of mine.” Okay, you caught me – I’m a sucker for love songs. My honest opinion is that “Mirrors” has more substance and it reminds me of FutureSex/LoveSounds with some new twists.

Whether the album will be good or not is something we can’t tell yet. Keep your ears and eyes open – he might have made the next big thing. Fingers crossed. 

Photo Credit

Sources: 1 2 3  4 5 6 7

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt