Is It Too Soon for Uggs? Don’t Let Pittsburgh’s Weather Fool You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It is now October… cue the overly used “wow-I-can’t-believe-it’s-a-new-month-already” phrase. School has been in full swing for over a month, and as a freshman, I can now confidently say that I have adjusted to college life pretty well… except for, as you may have also experienced, the unpredictable weather. Being from New Jersey, the weather I am used to is not so sporadic. A heads up from Mother Nature is usually given when the weather is officially going to change, and because of this, you know when it’s the right time to put away those high-waisted shorts and replace them with your just-tight-enough-but-still-breathable dark wash skinny jeans.

However, come to the wonderful city of Pittsburgh and you will be greeted with the most irregular weather I have ever experienced. Literally. No lie. I thought that as soon as September hit, the temperature would go into the negatives. But here we are, in the first few days of October, with the potential of temperatures reaching the 80’s. Talk about trust issues.

I have taken the knowledge that I have accumulated thus far from living in the Pittsburgh weather to bring you some tips and ideas on how to dress for class. Trust me, there are very few things worse than thinking you can finally pull out your favorite Frye boots and knit sweater only to walk out of your dorm into 90-degree weather… no exaggeration.  Here are some ways to avoid this:

1. Check the weather the night before.  This is a MUST. Before you even think of what clothing to wear, check the weather app on your phone. This will help you avoid all confusion with the next day’s forecast.

2. Pick out your outfit ahead of time.  To avoid rushing like a mad woman before that dreaded 8 a.m. class, take some time out of your night to plan your outfit for the following day. You’ll save yourself some much needed time the next morning that can be used for some extra beauty sleep. Because really, we can all use a little more of that.

3. Have alternate outfit ideas in mind.  Since it is usually colder in the morning than it is in the afternoon, plan your outfits accordingly. For your morning classes, for instance, take a pair of cutoff shorts and wear them with an oversized long-sleeve shirt. Then, if you go back to your room after class, throw on a cute but casual t-shirt and head out for the rest of your day. Cute yet casual is the ultimate key to creating successful outfits for class.

4. When in doubt, throw on a sweater. I don’t think it’s even possible to put my love for sweaters into words. Oversized, cardigans, pull-overs… they’re all great. I like to wear a sweater with virtually everything, from dresses to leggings. That way, I’m dressing in layers and can easily adjust to the temperature. My favorite cardigan (I own it in two colors) is this H&M knit cardigan ($17.45). It looks great over a casual black dress, a staple item that you should definitely have one of… or maybe five (like me).

5. It’s gon’ rain. A fact that I have learned quite quickly while living in Pittsburgh: It rains… a lot. All the time. Without warning. Even when there is the slightest chance of rain, never EVER go to class unprepared. You may think that the sunshine you see through your window while you’re getting ready will be there all day, but step outside after class an hour later and you may be greeted with a torrential downpour. To avoid the risk of getting caught in such a situation, keep an umbrella with you at all times. You can also pair outfits with a cute pair of rain boots like these Hunter’s ($130.00). I do it all the time! Not only are these boots heavy duty, but also adorable, and come in a million different colors and styles. Plus, they go with just about anything, so it’s a win-win-win situation. 

6. Uggs? No uggs? Help!  As much as you want to, as much as you’re tempted to, promise me that you will not break one of the most important rules of all: wearing uggs too soon. I PROMISE you, it is way too early to be wearing uggs. It is hard to decode the too-late-for-flip-flops-but-too-soon-for-uggs time that we’re in, but flats and booties are a great alternative for this time of year. These types of shoes will also make your outfit look more polished and put-together. My motorcycle boots are a must-have right now- I wear them with anything and everything! When the temperature falls into the negatives and the snow starts building up, then it will be 100% okay to wear your uggs with everything and anything.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt