sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Wore My Boyfriend’s Clothes for a Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Boy’s clothes are so far superior to girl’s clothes that it’s not even funny. They are far more comfortable (I’ve gotten to the point where I pick out men’s clothes for Christmas). I particularly like my boyfriend’s clothes. Wearing my boyfriend Matt’s things makes me feel closer to him, and I feel safer just having a part of him with me. For that reason I’m constantly stealing his jerseys and hoodies to wear around the house (or occasionally to class if I’m feeling lazy or too tired to dress myself). However, two weeks ago, I took it to a whole new level: I stole five shirts from Matt’s closet and wore one every day for a week.

Monday

I decided to make Matt’s clothes look as fashionable as possible, weather allowing. So far the first day of my experiment I wore a black dress with bae’s flannel over it, along with knee high burgundy socks and black boots. It was so insanely comfortable and I actually felt pretty good when I looked at myself in the mirror. I did receive a compliment from one of my friends, who said “Matt’s shirt? I like it.” Overall a good day!

Tuesday 

Stylish shirt right? It was in the 60’s so I figured that was good an excuse as any to rock this gold shirt, skater skirt, tights and combat boots. Matt never wears this shirt casually and has only ever worn it as a costume. I literally only grabbed this shirt because I thought it was funny. So when I put it on that morning, I felt a little embarrassed. Okay, mega embarrassed. Things were literally reflecting off me. However, as the day went on, I started to feel more comfortable with myself. I can’t even count how many compliments I received for my outfit. One girl came up to me just to tell me she liked my top. I sent a picture to my best friend from home, whose fashion sense is on point, and she complimented my outfit as well. By the end of the day I was super confident, and I’m so glad I took a chance and borrowed that goofy gold shirt. 

Wednesday

I kept it simple for day three with a cozy flannel, leggings and gray boots. It was really cold so it was hard to be too fashionable. I didn’t wear makeup this day either. Also it wasn’t the most form fitting outfit ever, so I was definitely channeling the sleep deprived college student look. But hey, at least I was comfortable!

Also, if you’d like to know a secret, I forgot to take a picture this day so when I finally took the picture I had a haircut and had just finished an essay; sleep deprived college student look part two. 

Thursday

Guess who took this goofy picture? If you guessed that it was Matt, you’d be correct. I couldn’t stop laughing the entire time, hence my weird position. Matt plays Ultimate Frisbee, so it’s no surprise that one of his jerseys made an appearance. All I wore was the jersey, jeans and brown combat boots. It was comfortable. Comfortable was probably the word of the week! However, I’d have to say that my favorite athlete looks a little better wearing it. 

Friday 

For the last day I spent six hours on a bus so there was no way you would find me in anything but leggings. I wore Matt’s striped shirt, leggings and my gray boots (literally Wednesday’s outfit but with a different shirt – original, I know). Again, this shirt might look cute on my Matthew, but it swallowed me. Like SWALLOWED ME. But somehow, some way, I still received compliments on both my outfit and my jewelry. It definitely helped my mood a little! Plus, it was the perfect outfit to wear on a long bus ride back to New Jersey.

All in all, I felt really comfortable all week and found it really nice to know that I had a set outfit every day. I definitely think I could have been a little more fashionable if it wasn’t so cold, but oddly enough, I still felt confident in myself all week. The compliments helped, but it was also nice to wake up and not waste the time stressing about what I was going to wear or how I was going to present myself to the world. It also felt proud of myself for being able to wear men’s clothes and still look at least semi-cute. However, for the future I’m probably going to stick to wearing Matt’s clothes on the weekends and in my house and let him wear his clothes in public.

Photo credit: Author’s own

Hi! I'm a junior at Pitt and I finally learned how to pump my own gas (But only at some gas stations - sorry, I'm from Jersey). I'm a big fan of cities, fast cars, alternative music and thinking outside the bun. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt