How To: Use Public Transportation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Attending Pitt, we not only have free access to most of the museums in Pittsburgh as well as Phipp’s conservatory, but ALSO free public transportation fare using our IDs. The busses may seem a little overwhelming – what side of the street should I be on? Are all the 71s the same? Here’s a breakdown of the most common busses and routes.

• ALL 71s and 61s go downtown. To get downtown, be on the right side of Fifth (if you have your back to the Cathedral).
  • The 75 takes you straight into Southside Works. To get to Southside, be on the right side of Fifth (if you have your back to the Cathedral). The 54s will also take you to Southside, however, they will take you away from the strip of shops and closer to the bars on East Carson Street. It’s only about a 15-minute walk to Forever 21, H&M, etc.
  • To get to Lawrenceville, take the 54. Be on the left side of Fifth (if your back is facing the Cathedral).
  • To get to the Waterfront, you’ll take the 61D off of Forbes.
  • The 28X runs to the airport, and you can catch that on Forbes.

Having a sturdy transportation app is the best way to travel. Moovit and Transit are the most popular and most trusted by the HC Pitt team!

You can also take the T (also known as the Light Rail). It’s a subway-street car mix that takes you into the city and also out into the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

• To get to the Northside (PNC Park, Heinz Field, Stage AE) take any 61 or 71 bus downtown and get off near The Consol Energy Center to take the Steel Plaza T. There are signs in the station that indicate if you’re going into to the city or out. They run frequently, and there are 2 different cars, so they’re easy to catch.

The bus routes are changing, so be sure to check out their addendum list before you head out: http://www.portauthority.org/paac/SchedulesMaps/ServiceAdjustments.aspx

Some general tips for traveling: Make sure you let those already on the bus get off before you get on! Another important bit of information is that if you’re going into town, you scan your ID when you get on, but if you’re going out of the city, you scan it after. This rule only applies until 7 pm; after that, swipe your card as you get on no matter where you’re going. The busses stop running early on Sunday – plan your trips accordingly!

Travelling in Pittsburgh is easy, so long as you make sure you check your routes before you leave, and if you’re travelling alone at night, make sure you let someone know where you are!

Image Credit: 1, 2

Entertainment Editor, Her Campus Pitt @abbystubenbort i like bands & boybands & burritos & pop culture
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt