How to rock the Top Trends of NYFW AW13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

New York Fashion Week is back! They may be attacking next year’s spring and summer clothes since the fashion scene is always two seasons ahead, but for now we are focusing on fall and winter fashion.

Trend: ‘90’s Girl

Grunge is back and with a force. Plaid, jeans, leather, beanies, and more plaid are taking over the runways.

Our Take On It:

As Pittsburgh gets colder, this look may seem more appealing, but if you aren’t ready to throw yourself into the grunge ‘90s look all the way, try one piece at a time. Wear the leather but not the beanie. Keep building your look as you get comfortable with it!

Trend: Camel

The classic camel coat is back. It can go from classy to punk, but either way, this color is back!

Our Take On It:

Camel is a neutral color, but difficult to match. Try it with a cute maroon scarf, black tights, and brown boots to tie the whole look together!

Trend: Slim and Structured Bags (The “It Bag”)

Sorry Mary Kate and Ashley, the oversized trash bag purse look is out the window; and the new sleek, structured bags are in. They come in all shapes and sizes— clutches, cross bodies, you name it the bag can do it!

Our Take On It:

As college students, we get to adorn the fabulous backpack look for most of our days; but when you are stepping out, try the cross body structured bag! Large enough to hold your wallet, keys, and phone, but small enough so you won’t lose them- and it is hands free!

Trend: White

All white. White sweater on white pants on white shoes. Whoa, don’t get lost in the blizzard!

Our Take On It:

All white is a tough look to pull off—for anyone. You run the chance of looking too drained, but if you are brave enough to try it, take on ivory first to ease your way into the trend!

Trend: Metallics

Shiny! Disco! This trend has been looming over us for awhile but here it is!

Our Take On It:

Metallics are great, but in small doses. To take on this look, try just metallic pants or just a metallic top. If you want to work the head to toe look, then do it by all means—the sidewalk is your runway!

Trend: Military

Camouflage is always a trend during the fall but it’s back with an edge, including capes, fur coats, and even cargo pants.

Our Take On It:

Green. Not ready to take on camo? Forever 21 has the perfect jackets for you. The comfort of big warm jackets but in army green (and for cheap)!

Trend: Texture Mixing

Leather, fur, velour—you name it, and it is being worn. You may cringe at the idea of mixing them (we are too).

Our Take On It:

Choose one texture and mix it with denim. Jean automatically makes something more casual so take that fur (or faux fur) jacket and rock it with a pair of jeans!

Source for all images

I have been a proud Her Campus writer since my freshman year at Pitt and I am now the Social Media Editor for the chapter. So excited to see where the chapter will go but sadly I am a senior graduating in 2015 with a Communication and Art History major and Film Studies minor.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt