How to Incorporate Sneakers Into Your Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Back in the day if you wore sneakers with skinny jeans, you were bound to get made fun of. Now, it’s a massive style trend. In fact, designers and stylists have found ways to pair trainers with just about anything you can think of. By far the most popular styles are New Balance and Nike trainers, all white Converse or leather sneakers, Vans slip-ons, and high-tops. If you own any one of these shoes, you can style them just like almost any of the looks below. New Balance offers the widest range of colored shoes, and you’ll see most bloggers own a pair, like Day Book Blogger Sydney Adams, for example.

For those of you that are broke (like me), I found a pair of black and white trainers for $18 on Amazon that look a lot like Nike’s, as well as some Report slip-ons for $15.

Let’s start with the easiest – the skinny jeans and trainers combo. A skinny jean that leaves a little bit of ankle will probably look best with sneakers. If your jeans are longer, you may want to roll the bottom once or twice. Depending on your style you can dress casually with a leather jacket, graphic tee, and beanie. Or, you can dress your sneakers up with a sweater, trench coat or peacoat and a blanket scarf.

If you own a pair of boyfriend jeans, they’ll look great with a slouchy sweatshirt or sweater and a long tee underneath, which you can pair with some slip-ons. Joggers (those sweatpants that get tighter around your ankle) also look great with small sneakers like Converse.

Unless you are going for a grungier look, high-tops can be harder to wear. Dr. Marten makes high-tops that are in between a sneaker and a boot and they’re wicked comfortable (I’d highly recommend them).

A sweater dress looks great with a flannel tied around your waist and a pair of Nike Roshe’s. If you are trying to wear a more structured dress or skirt, it’s a little harder to pull off. When in doubt you can’t go wrong with an oversized sweater or casual top and a tiny leather pencil skirt. If you have a cute and flowy summer dress, you can pair it with either a neutral shoe or a shoe in the same color, but in a slightly different shade.

Some other articles of clothing that look great with trainers are leather leggings, fitted overalls, rompers, plaid jackets, cigarette pants, and statement necklaces. Now, maybe it’s time to give up those unsupportive flats and heels for a comfortable pair of sneakers!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt