How to Have a Successful Girls’ Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s almost the weekend and somehow you and all your girl friends are free, but no one feels like going out – so OBVIOUSLY you’re having a girls’ night in! You’re all so excited until you realize that you have absolutely no idea what you’re going to do. You’re all tired of doing the same thing every weekend and want to try something new or just want to step up your game. Here are some tips on how to have the best night ever with your girls without even having to leave the house!

1. Chocolate Fondue

You don’t have to own a fondue fountain to do this! Just melt chocolate in a dish and set up sweets and treats to dip in! Everyone could bring their favorite to share – my favorites are banana slices and frozen whipped cream cookies. S’good!

2. DIY Pizza Bagels

One thing my friend group is planning on doing is a DIY dinner. Pizza bagels are easy to make and pretty cheap. There are gluten-free bagels, and girls that are lactose intolerant don’t have to use cheese. You don’t even have to stick to traditional pizza – try BBQ chicken, buffalo sauce, or spinach and feta!

3. A Netflix Binge

What kind of girls’ night in would it be if we didn’t have Netflix?! Pick a NEW show to start watching. Don’t worry if you are in the pilot five minutes and don’t like what you picked. Pick a different one! There are so many new shows to watch and if you can’t all agree on something, Friends never disappoints. Currently, my housemates and I are on a Bob’s Burgers binge. It’s so funny!

4. “Grown Up” Games Night

Try having a dart tournament or play pong with just the girls. If you are into video games, play those! Eat whatever food you want and play “Cards Against Humanity” if you want to laugh all night long!

5. DIY Spa

Face masks are super cheap and you can pick some up from Rite-Aid or CVS for $2-3 each. Paint your nails, talk about boys and pamper yourself after a long week of studying!

6. Paint a Canvas and Drink Wine

Why go out to paint and drink when you can do it at home? Look up inspirational quotes on Pinterest or try to mimic a sunset from Google Images. Buy cheap paints and canvases from Michael’s and set an old sheet down on the floor. Don’t forget the wine! (If you aren’t 21, drink sparkling juices if you want to be fancy).

7. Clothing Swap

You’re young and broke, but your closet is looking pitiful. Have everyone put all their shirts, jeans, jewelry and shoes in a bag and meet up to swap clothes and watch a movie after! It’s free and you’re getting new pieces while hanging with your girls – what’s not to love?

8. Ladies from the 80’s

Watch a movie from the 80’s instead of one of the typical modern-day chick flicks. They’re romantic, a little cheesy and have big heartthrobs in them. Wear your favorite leggings and get ready for a great flick! Some of the best 80’s chick flicks are The Breakfast Club (obviously), Pretty in Pink, Say Anything, Footloose, Can’t Buy Me Love, and Dirty Dancing.

Getting together with your girls is always fun, and I hope these ideas help you decide what to do for your next girls’ night in! Don’t forget to wear comfy clothes and bring your favorite snacks!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Sarah Churchman, HC Pitt's Senior Editor, is a super senior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Computer & Information Science with a specialty in User Design! She is the reserach lead in CyREN, the school's cybersecurity lab. Along with InfoSci, Sarah is minoring in Creative Writing with a focus in poetry. She is an editor at Forbes & Fifth, a student-run magazine. She is also part of H2o church. She's obsessed with tacos, Tommy Hilfiger, and ordering things off Amazon Prime!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt