How to: Get Over the “Syllabus Week Slump”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

This is my sixth syllabus week as a junior in college and every single semester during this week, I make many promises to myself. I promise that I will stay ahead of my weekly readings for classes and I will dedicate a certain amount of time to each class every week. I promise myself that I will not skip a class just because I don’t feel like going or because we’re watching a movie that day. The list is endless and although a large portion of it is dedicated to my classes, I also dedicate space for personal goals. It’s like I get a New Year’s resolution every four months. One goal in particular that I have found has carried over for the past three years, especially during the second semester, is that I promise that I’m always going to look nice when I go to class.

It’s a longstanding joke that everyone, girls especially, will look nice during the first week of classes, but you see who the person really is during the third or fourth week when they have given up on their appearance. I, for one, can say I have definitely fallen victim to this. By the third week, everyone is comfortable and there is no longer any excitement in the air about new classes and meeting new people. This happens especially during the second semester because you’re right in the middle of winter, it’s cold, and everyone just wants to dress for comfort and most importantly, warmth. Well, here are a few things you can do to amp up your laid-back style when you’re in the slump of the third and fourth weeks of classes.

Yoga pants. Everyone, and I mean everyone, loves them. And who wouldn’t? They are the most comfortable thing to wear without looking like a complete slob. But yoga pants and a sweatshirt found at the bottom of your closet isn’t exactly a cute look. Instead of going for sloppy all over, concentrate on one section. Choose a fitted, printed tee or tank that’s fun and vibrant. Instead of a sweatshirt or that tired Northface, throw on a jean or leather jacket and a big scarf. A pair of converse finishes the look. You can also choose a muted tee and more vibrant, printed shoes. The outfit is still extremely comfortable and you won’t look like the biggest slob in your class.

Big sweaters are undoubtedly the best thing about winter. They are extremely comfortable and so easy to just throw over a pair of jeans or leggings when it’s 15 degrees and you need to walk to your 9 am class. The problem: these sweaters usually give you no shape and unfortunately, the look can get very worn out. Accessories are your solution to this problem. Pair a big, chunky costume necklace with your sweater to wear as a statement piece. Instead of your uggs that are now ruined and discolored from the salt on the streets, put on a pair of riding boots. It instantly dresses the outfit up and the comfort level is not a far cry from your pair of beloved uggs.

One last problem that I have encountered myself and have found many others to agree with is the winter jacket. It’s cold, it’s possibly snowing, and most likely, the sun is not working in your favor. The easiest solution is to wear as many layers as you possibly can and then, on top of it all, throw a jacket over this. Too many times have I encountered the problem of unshapely jackets that either make me look bigger or like a square.  Well, just because it is cold out doesn’t mean you have to give up on your style. Most of the people you encounter during the day happen while you’re walking to class, so people just see your jacket, not your actual outfit. A tip is to find a jacket that is obviously warm but also either has a belt on it or an elastic waist that can be adjusted. This ensures that your shape can still be seen over all of those layers. I have also recently found that most jackets now have an elastic on the inside so that it can’t be seen, so be sure to keep an eye out for those too!

As you can see, you don’t have to do too much to change up your style a little bit. You can actually look nice and still be comfortable. This year, instead of having a New Year’s resolution, make a semester resolution not to get stuck in what I like to call the “syllabus week slump”!

Picture Cred:

http://cyanidexqueenx.buzznet….

http://cdn.followpics.com/show/43136108900510598_xN6sdCEH_c.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vl-VIV5kytg/UI7gz0rCWHI/AAAAAAAALZo/UZUuB-_EIMU/s1600/stylingtips-oversize-sweater2.JPG

Hi, I'm Kate! Orginally from northern New Jersey, I'm currently a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in public relations and writing. Writing has always been a passion of mine and writing for Her Campus really let's me engage in something I love to do. I am a huge sports fan, especially for the New York Giants, Yankees, and of course, the Panthers. I am way into fashion and writing about it. I am also obsessed with travelling and one of my goals is to travel around the world and different cities in the states in order to see as many different places I possibly can. So far I've been fortunate enough to immerse myself in the culture of London, Paris, Chicago, Los Angeles, and a tiny island off of South America, Curacao. I really believe that in order to be truly happy, you need to become who you are meant to be and stop being who you think everyone else wants you to be. I'll leave you off with one of my favorite quotes, "Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine." - Lord Byron  
Hey, I'm Chris Baker and I just began writing for HerCampus at Pitt. I love God, my family and friends, sports, and my amazing fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi. I love to talk, write, and engage with people, in particular, I like to argue, haha. I love Pitt so if you go here and don't already know me, you should find me and get to know me! Contact me anytime at cbb17@pitt.edu,Thanks for reading!