This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Theatrical eyelashes, cracks in porcelain skin, and eerie heart-shaped lipstick—this is not your typical black cat costume. A recent trend with the online make-up artist community, the broken doll Halloween look has been appearing on creative costumers around the world. Now, you can try it out for yourself, whether it be for a Halloween party or just a fun night with some friends.

1. Cover your whole face in light white powder. Though optional, the paleness helps to dramatize the rest of the features.

2. Use cream-based white paint to surround your eyes, and outline the white with black. Draw black eyelashes extending out from the black outline, both on the top and bottom of the eyes. Make sure they’re long and abundant. For extra effect, use thick, black false eyelashes on your eyelid, and darken your brows.

3. Apply vivid pink blush to the apples of your cheeks, but don’t blend it too well. The concentration of pink on one area of your cheeks emphasizes the porcelain doll perfection that you’re striving for.

4. Put five to seven black dots on each cheek for freckles. Try to make them as quaint and circular as possible. These freckles are a tiny detail, but they add a lot of sinister cuteness.

5. Draw lines extending from the sides of your mouth, curling them up on your cheeks for a devilish smile, and draw lines sticking out from your “smile” to create the illusion of stitches. Don’t be afraid to get crazy with the stitches; the less perfectly “sewn” they are, the more creepy you’re going to look.

6. Use lip liner to draw the outline of the heart on the center of your lips. A blood red or bright pink is ideal. Fill in the outline with a color similar to the lip liner you used, and put white powder on the parts of your lips that the heart doesn’t cover. Every dainty doll has the trademark tiny mouth and pristinely shaped lips, and now you do, too!

7. This step is the most difficult—using black eyeliner to draw the cracks. Basically, the cracks are jagged lines that extend from jagged lines that extend from jagged lines. They should all go in different directions, and be different shapes and sizes. Try to make them look random!

This last step is highly recommended—put on some finishing spray to keep the make-up in place. The last thing you need is for all of your hard work to wipe off two hours into the night! Of course, all of these steps are just a basic guideline for a broken doll look, so feel free to venture into your own Halloween make-up path and create a unique style for yourself.

Share your looks by tweeting @HerCampusPitt with a picture of your look!

Photo source: Amanda Chan

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt