Healthy Valentine’s Day Desserts that Won’t Break Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

On Halloween and Easter, one of the main priorities for some people is receiving candy or chocolate. As Valentine’s Day approaches us, many of us also consider this holiday to be based on mostly sweets and candy. There are some of us who have significant others and find baking to be an easy and great gift for them, and there are the rest of us who just have ourselves to deal with on what we would call “Singles Awareness Day.” For those that celebrate being single, baking still seems to be a priority.

Since we are not too far from the new year starting, we can only hope that most of us are still following our resolutions to get fit and shed the extra pounds. If you like to eat loads of sweets on Valentine’s Day, there are some healthier options for you, instead of that huge box of chocolate hearts from Rite Aid, that will still satisfy your valentine or yourself. For whatever group you may fall under, here are some delicious Valentine’s Day desserts that are a step above the ordinary chocolate covered strawberries that keep you on the right path to a healthy lifestyle:

Valentine Peanut Butter Cups:
Not only will these fulfill your sweet tooth but they are also gluten free, dairy free, and diabetic friendly! The only things you need to make these mouth-watering treats are a silicone, valentine-shaped mold or mini cupcake liners and 5 key ingredients:

-6 ounces sweetened carob chips
-2 tablespoons coconut oil
-2 tablespoons peanut butter (natural, no sugar added)
-2 packets powdered stevia
-2 tablespoons crushed, chopped peanuts

The directions are also very simple:

-In a small bowl melt the carob chips and coconut oil in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. Stir the two together until completely smooth. In another bowl, mix the peanut butter and powdered stevia together. With either your heart shaped silicone mold or your mini cupcake liners, fill each full with 1 teaspoon of chocolate. Add ½ teaspoon of peanut butter. Then cover each with 1 more teaspoon of chocolate. Top with crushed peanuts and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.

Clean Eating Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffins:
We all want to start our sweet tooth off to a good start early in the morning. Making these for your valentine or yourself along with friends and family will be a sure hit in the a.m. All you need is some love and a few ingredients:

-1 ¾ cup of Oats
-3 Egg whites
-3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
-1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
-1 tsp. Vanilla extract
-1/2 cup Plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
-1/2 tsp. cream of tartar (or 2 tsp. vinegar)
-1 ½ tsp. Baking powder
-1 ½ tsp. Baking soda
-1/4 tsp. Salt
-1 cup Hot water
-1/2 cup Baking stevia OR 1 cup sweetener of choice that measures like sugar
-1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips

Here are the Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2(12-cup) muffin tins with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray, then set aside. In a blender or food processor, mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and the mixture is smooth. Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in ½ of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into the prepared muffin tins. Place muffin tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut the oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin. Place the muffins back into the oven for an additional 2-5 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note: you could skip this step and put all the chocolate chips into the batter at once and bake the muffins for 12-15 minutes straight. Cool muffins before removing from pan.

Makes 24 muffins

Strawberry Swirl Bars:
Were you looking for that pop of pink that says it’s Valentine’s Day? Well with these you’ve got it! Not only are these delicious but they also add to the Valentine’s Day spirit. Here are all the awesome low calorie ingredients needed to make these:

-1 cup low-fat graham cracker crumbs
-3 tbsp. butter, melted
-1 cup non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
-1 8oz. package reduced fat cream cheese
-1/2 cup Splenda
-3 eggs
-3 tbsp. flour
-4 tbsp. sugar-free strawberry jelly

The Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix the graham cracker crumbs and butter together and press the mixture into an 8 x 8 in. baking pan. Bake crust for 10 minutes. Blend the Greek yogurt, cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and flour in a food processor or blender until smooth. Swirl 4 tbsp. of jelly into the mixture. Take the crust out of the oven and pour the mixture over it. Bake for 25 minutes or until the filling is solidified. Let cool. Cover and refrigerate for several hours prior to serving.

Makes 9 squares.

“Be My Valentine” Apple Rice Krispie Treats:
Not only are these treats the healthiest with only 113 calories each, but they are also the simplest to make. No trouble making these in a dorm! Here are the simple ingredients:

-3 cups brown rice crisps cereal
-1 NuturMe Crisp Apple Pouch
-3/4 cup peanut butter
-1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. honey
-1 tbsp. vanilla
-1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

The simple and easy no oven needed directions:
In a large bowl, mix brown rice cereal with peanut butter. In another bowl, add 3-5 tbsp. of water to crispy apple pouch. Stir honey and vanilla into the puree. Pour into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Optional: add the chocolate chips into the mixture. Press into one large or two small glass trays. Shape into mini Valentines Day hearts! Optional: Decorate with frosting, powdered sugar, red sprinkles. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

Makes 15-20 hearts

Your Valentine is waiting! The ability to make these desserts is right at your fingertips. So go ahead, make one or make them all! Whether it’s for that special someone or for you and your roommates, these desserts will leave you and your sweet tooth satisfied along with a healthy, great feeling body and heart!

Sources:
http://muffintop-less.tumblr.com

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/cooking-ideas/8-diet-friendly-desserts-bake-your-valentine?page=7

Photo Credit:
http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/valentine-peanut-butter-cups-gluten-free-dairy-free-diabetic-friendly/

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/triple-chocolate-chunk-muffins/

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt