This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Think you have some weird fears? Check out what some of our members find chilling and horrible, from birds to escalators, just in time for ~Halloween Season~.

1. Slide into a Nightmare

“I’m terribly claustrophobic, and last summer my sister and I (who is also claustrophobic) went on one of the enclosed water slides at Idlewild Park. We didn’t realize until we actually got in the slide that it was pitch black and you couldn’t see anything so by the time we both got to the end (which felt like two hours later) both of us could barely breathe and felt like we were on the verge of death!”

2. Hitchcock Had it Right

“I have a weird fear of birds. Silly, right? Whenever I walk by pigeons, I panic. It all started because when I was 10 I was going to adopt this rare baby bird. I was already kind of nervous whenever I heard/saw a bird flap its wings, so I really don’t know why I thought it was a good plan. He was super cute and cuddly so I, being a total loser, named him Mr. Cuddles. Well, I wasn’t allowed to take Mr. Cuddles home yet because he was so young, so I went to visit him. Unfortunately, it was raining and when I got there, my hair was all wet and knotty. Then when Cuddles decided to walk around my shoulders HE GOT STUCK IN MY HAIR. Cuddles panicked and started flapping his wings, and then I panicked and started screaming for someone to get him out. Long story short, I did not buy Mr. Cuddles, and my discomfort with birds totally increased to the point where I big time panic whenever I see/hear a bird.”

3. Bird-Free Zone

“I am absolutely terrified of Canadian geese, turkeys and other large birds – including pet parrots. I’ve been terrified of birds for as long as I can remember, and two years ago I found out I was allergic to feathers. Maybe my fear wasn’t so irrational after all?”

4. Falling for You

“I’m afraid of cardiac hill when it’s winter because I always think, ‘Will THIS be the day I slip and fall and get hit by a car?’”

5. Tanner or Toilet?

“I have an irrational fear that birds are going to poop on me… it’s never happened, but for some reason a few years ago I started worrying about it way more than I need to. It makes it hard for me to relax at the beach because I’m always afraid seagulls are going to poop on me while I’m tanning!”

6. A Spotty Situation

“I have trypophobia, aka fear of small patterns. I dare you to google it.”

7. Multitasking Dilemma

“I’m terrified that I’ll get electrocuted in my sleep because I go to bed with earphones on and charge my phone at the same time.”

8. Bring a Hair Elastic

“Throwing up absolutely horrifies me. Some people like to just pull the trigger and feel better, but not me. Also, as much as I like to think of myself as a good friend, if we’re out for the night and somebody has too much to drink, I can’t be the one to hold your hair back.”

9. Psycho in the Shower Drain

“Shower drains scare me so much. Whenever I take a shower I’m afraid that some crazy person is down there ready to stab my foot with a knife if I step on the drain. I know it’s so irrational and impossible, but I can’t stand them!”

10. Is it Really “Better Down Where It’s Wetter”?

“I’m terrified of being trapped in a submarine on the bottom of the ocean. My dad used to tell me old war stories, and he told me about “the sinking of the S5” at the age of 10. Been scared ever since.”

11. Innocent Until Proven Guilty?

“I’m afraid of getting wrongly accused of murder or some other serious crime and then getting put in jail for life or a very long time!”

12. Authentic Only

“I’m terrified of fake fruit. I don’t even know why, but the thought of them just really, really freaks me out.”

13. Use That Railing

“I’m terrified of stairs! All my friends laugh at me because I insist on using the railing ALL THE TIME and if there isn’t a railing I ask them to hold my hand.”

14. Too Close for Comfort

“I’m freaked out by animated movies that look a little *too* real. I loved The Polar Express as a book, but the movie makes me super uncomfortable.”

15. Buttons Shouldn’t Be Eyes

“I’m terrified of Tim Burton animated movies. Creepy button eyes are not my thing. The first (and only) time I tried to watch Coroline I cried and then went and watched Insidious at a friend’s house because that was less scary.”

16. Look Out, Traffic

“I’m afraid of those drains in the street with the grates over them. I will literally walk into traffic to avoid them!”

17. “ET Go Home.” Please.

“I’m terrified of aliens for no reason. I can’t even watch ET. One time, I saw a light in the sky so my roommate made a joke that it was a UFO, and I cried.”

18. Never Too Old for a Nightlight

“I’m afraid of the dark! I’m thankful I live in a city because enough light comes in at night for me to feel okay. But when I go home (my hometown is in the middle of nowhere), I still have to use a nightlight.”

19. Never Go “Head First”

“I used to be scared of showers. To this day I do not put my head under the water until I have tested the water with my hand and I can’t dive because I’m scared of my head going underwater first.”

20. No Touch-Tank for Me

“I think it’s cause of Steve Irwin (RIP), but I’ve been terrified of stingrays since I was little. I can’t look at them at the aquarium!”

21. Why Can’t We Just Use Regular Stairs?

“I have an irrational fear of all escalators, on or off.”

Photo Credit:

1

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in communication and nonfiction writing. This is my third year at Her Campus Pitt and my second year as the entertainment category editor! I'm also a chapter advisor this semester! I'm a pizza-loving cat mom with a chronic habit of napping from the Boston area. I enjoy spending time binge-watching netflix, snuggling, reading, writing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends. I'm looking forward to becoming increasingly involved with everything Her Campus over the remainder of the college career! Thanks for reading my articles and always feel free to contact me with feedback :)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt