jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Guide to the University Counseling Center at Pitt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Everyone struggles sometimes; it’s just part of life. However, if you feel like you are having trouble living your daily life on a consistent level, it might be time to get some help. The important thing to remember is that it’s always OK to ask for help. It doesn’t make you weak or “messed up.” It’s actually the opposite. The first step to making yourself feel better and to living up to your full potential here at Pitt is to reach out and ask for the support you need. Best of all, if you’re a full-time Pitt student, it’s free! So if you think you might need some extra help or support adjusting to college life, coping with a mental health issue or you just need someone to talk about your day with and de-stress, the University Counseling Center is for you. I’ve outlined a few basics about their services here, but if you want more information or are interested in talking to the staff there, you can find all of their contact info and other information here.

Services

The UCC offers individual therapy, couples therapy, group therapy and workshops to help students who need some additional support here at school.

However, if you feel that you are in crisis (but not in danger of hurting yourself or others), you are urged to call the Wellness Center and state that you are in crisis. If you are having an emergency, please call 911 or Pitt Police at 412-624-2121 (or 811 from any campus phone). If you are in need of assistance due to sexual assault, please call the University Sexual Assault Services Specialist at 412-648-7856 or contact Pitt Police. You can find more information on crisis and sexual assault services at Pitt here.

1. Individual Therapy

This is a short-term plan that you come up with between yourself and the mental health staff. The first step is to schedule an initial triage appointment. These are offered Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. You can schedule one by calling the Wellness Center at 412-648-7930 or going to their offices off of Nordenberg Hall. These meetings generally last about 15 to 30 minutes, but you should arrive 15 minutes early so that you can complete any forms necessary. After your triage assessment, the clinician you worked with will recommend one of three courses of action: referral to one of the UCC’s services, referral to other student support services at Pitt (disability resources, academic resource center) and/or referral to an off-campus form of mental-health treatment. No matter what you and your clinician decide is right for you, they will be there to support you and help you get the help you need.

2. Couples Therapy

This service is offered for partners of any kind that are in a serious relationship. In order to qualify, at least one partner must be a student taking classes here at Pitt.

3. Group Therapy

This opportunity gives students the ability to work with a group of six to eight students over the course of the semester. You meet regularly to talk about concerns, personal issues or to learn new, healthy skills with one or two group leaders. Each term, there are many different group therapy options, such as a general discussion group, groups focused on specific demographics (women, men, LGBT, undergraduates, etc) and groups focused on certain issues (depression, anxiety, family issues, substance abuse, etc). You can learn more about the different group therapy options on campus here and see the schedule and sign up for specific groups here. If you have any other questions, the UCC welcomes you to call them at their main number, 412-648-7930.

4. Workshops

These “classes” are put together by the Wellness Center, and there are tons of different options you can take. On top of the workshops currently offered, listed here, students and groups can also request other workshops that they think would be beneficial. You can find the schedule for upcoming workshops and sign up here.

General Information

The UCC is located in the Wellness Center, which is on the second floor of Nordenberg Hall. They’re open Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with extended hours from 5 to 8:30 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays during the Fall and Spring terms. You can find all the information available on the UCC on their homepage. So if you feel like you could benefit from a little extra help or just want to see what the UCC is all about, please don’t hesitate to reach out! You’re never alone here at Pitt :)

Photo Credits: 1, 2

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in communication and nonfiction writing. This is my third year at Her Campus Pitt and my second year as the entertainment category editor! I'm also a chapter advisor this semester! I'm a pizza-loving cat mom with a chronic habit of napping from the Boston area. I enjoy spending time binge-watching netflix, snuggling, reading, writing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends. I'm looking forward to becoming increasingly involved with everything Her Campus over the remainder of the college career! Thanks for reading my articles and always feel free to contact me with feedback :)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt