This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Alright, listen up. Some not cool things have happened, and I’m not happy about it. This weekend, I went to a hip hop show where there was a girl barely standing, and she was stumbling into people; she was drunk–totally GONE. She was slurring her words and had virtually no idea where she was. Her eyes glazed over and she was swaying while standing in place, and her friends were nowhere in sight. I eventually got a friend of hers to come and get her after texting a few people on her cell phone, but there is a lesson here: stick with your friends.

Whether you are the crazy one or the caretaker, you NEED to stay with your friends. When you drink, either casually or to black out, it’s never safe to be alone.

Going to a school in a busy city like we do, it’s incredibly important to have a support system — not only for safety reasons, but for health reasons. If someone (or you) is drunk and getting sick, someone NEEDS to be there with them. If they fall asleep and get sick, that could be fatal.

Also, ladies, cat-calling is annoying in the day, yes, but at night it’s lethal. Rape isn’t a joke and it can be prevented in numbers. Don’t let your friends walk alone. Walk in groups and stick together.

Cut your friends off. If you think they’ve had too much, they’ve probably had way too much. Don’t be afraid to be an “asshole” and let them know what you think. It’s okay to step in if you’re just trying to help. Trust me, they’ll thank you in the morning.

If you’ve ever been left behind by friends, maybe you should reconsider the people you surround yourself with. A friend will stick with you — even if that means ending their night a little early.

We have power in numbers, girls! We need to stay together and support each other. Going out is fun, but don’t let the night get ruined by someone getting hurt.

Be smart. Drink smart. Love your friends.

And that’s girl code.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3

Entertainment Editor, Her Campus Pitt @abbystubenbort i like bands & boybands & burritos & pop culture
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt