Get Lost, Find Yourself: What I Learned Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

This isn’t supposed to be a cliché study abroad article about magically getting to know yourself fully and completely while being abroad. I’m not sure who that actually happens to, but it didn’t happen to me. A more realistic way of looking at studying abroad is that it will change you in one way or another. For me, studying abroad changed the way I look at the world. The key to my new outlook? Letting go.

Dèrive is a French word that is defined as the art of getting lost, leaving behind any distractions or activities and to be drawn by whatever catches your interest, and then experience any encounters that come your way. One of my professors used this concept to open a bunch of adventurous, yet semi-scared college students to exploring Rome by ourselves without maps, phones or any directions. He told us in his thick Italian accent to, “get lost… find yourself… and if you feel uncomfortable just come find me and we will get a coffee.” So we set off to explore the streets around our school, without any destination. And that was okay because there were so many things to come across in the journey of exploration!

On my journey, I came across a beautiful hidden garden, a painter, and a vintage shop, none of which I would have ever paid attention to if I was hurrying along to my next destination. Because I was by myself and not distracted my phone or a map, I was able to take my time, talk with friendly storeowners and totally immerse myself in the sights and sounds of what was around me. It was also extremely calm and free feeling of not being bound to a schedule or set destination, and instead was able to enjoy the city I would be living in for the next month and a half. I am so thankful to have a professor who made me feel comfortable and urged me to just let go because the feeling has stayed with me ever since! I am no longer anxious to travel to a new place or take time to explore by myself. I want to because there are so many sensations to take in and so many new things to experience.

It has been almost a year since I studied abroad in Rome, but I still remember the food, coffee and a lot of random facts tour guides gave me. Most of all, I remember the feeling of being free to wander the streets. To explore without bounds and come across the most beautiful things. For me, it wasn’t the 16 gelati I ate in one day or visiting the Coliseum that made my trip memorable. Instead, it was the walks I took to school, back home and just around the cities I visited. Stumbling across cool street art, friendly cats and dogs and hidden gardens is the part of studying abroad that I will always cherish the most.

So, if you are studying this summer, next semester, or sometime in the future, I highly encourage you to derive! There are so many small beauties to come across and enjoy no matter what city you are exploring.

Photo Credits: all images belong to the author

Junior Fiction Writing and English Literature double majors Italian Studies minor Fun facts: I love all things Italy! My last name even means bread and my friends call me toast. My spirit animals are unicorns, mermaids or Hello Kitty(:
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt