Fun Places to Waste Time Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Whether you have an hour to waste between classes or just want to spend some time exploring new places in Oakland instead of studying, there are plenty of places around campus that are worth visiting. Best of all, most are free, so there’s no need to worry about blowing all of your grocery money on having fun. Next time you’re bored, check out one of the places below.

Restaurants

Oakland is home to some of Pittsburgh’s best and most diverse dining options, which means that there are hundreds of opportunities to try something new.  It’s almost impossible to get bored of the options in Oakland, and there truly is something for everyone. One of my favorites is Conflict Kitchen, a stand in Schenley Plaza that serves only the cuisine of nations in conflict with the United States. Conflict Kitchen’s location is a plus too, making it easy to enjoy a delicious meal or snack with a beautiful view of the Cathedral when the weather’s nice. Red Oak Café on Forbes is also a great choice, with healthier options and fresh-squeezed juices that all taste delicious. Lastly, if you’re wandering through South Oakland, checking out Las Palmas on Atwood is a must. The outdoor stand offers $2.50 tacos that are so authentic and delicious – and you can choose from several meat options and add as many toppings as you like. Any of these are perfect for that hour-long break between classes around lunchtime and will rescue you from boring meal plans and endless trips to Market.

Nature

If you find yourself with some extra time and the weather is particularly nice, why not check out some of the parks and green areas Oakland has to offer? Schenley Plaza and Flagstaff Hill are perfect locations for tanning, doing homework (say goodbye to depressing desks in Club Hillman), or just hanging out with friends. Phipps Conservatory is also a perfect place to waste time while admiring (or Instagramming) all of the flowers and plants that call this conservatory and botanical garden home. Schenley Plaza and Phipps also host farmers’ markets during the summer and early fall, which are great for cheap, awesome produce that tastes better than anything you could get at QuickZone. 

Museums and Educational Buildings

Pitt provides all of us with an ID that allows us to take advantage of free admission to so many museums and cultural activities, many of which are around campus. For example, the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Carnegie Museum of Art are both on the edge of campus and are great places to learn something new in your free time. Both of these museums host a variety of really interesting exhibits throughout the year, so you can visit multiple times and still see something new. If museums aren’t your thing, get a free library card at the Carnegie Library and rent some books to read, DVDs to watch with your roommates, or new music to listen to in your iTunes library. The library also offers free classes in a variety of subjects and is a quieter place to study than Hillman. Crazy Mocha also has a shop in the Carnegie Library, so you can even get your daily caffeine dose while you visit.

With all of these awesome places to explore around Oakland, there’s no reason to settle for being bored on campus.  So go out and discover your new favorite hangout or coffee shop, and enjoy some free time away from the books!​

Image Credit: 1, 3, Others provided by author

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt