Flirting Faux Pas – When ‘Awkward’ is Your Middle Name

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So, you see a cutie in your literature class, you continue to notice him when he comes in every day (also when he doesn’t, and leaves your day a little less full of life), and you wonder what his personality is like. Now, the idea of a simple ‘hi’ or the conveniently and strategically placed, “Can I borrow a pen?” are easy segways to a bigger conversation, but what happens when you have a foot in the door for a conversation, but don’t know what to say after?

Sometimes chatting comes easy, the conversation is fun and flows nicely, and maybe you even end up exchanging phone numbers, or making plans for later. But, we all know that sometimes things don’t go as planned. You might end your newfound connection, but more often than not, you’re left with hilarious stories that serve as perfect advice for future encounters. 

Here are some of HC Pitt’s favorite ‘faux pas’ memories:

“My friends always tell me not to reveal my love for rock collecting or my love for boy bands…APPARENTLY those things aren’t very cool.”

“Once a boy said, “I know what we could do (;” and leaned in to kiss me…until I yelled “We should play Harry Potter Scene it!””

“Once I told a boy, “You smell nice. It’s like you sweat deliciousness.””

“I feel like I tend to not know how to flirt or take a compliment so when a guy is flirting with me or complimenting me, I either make a face or say something rude. But then again, I guess it depends on the guy because one time a guy told me I was a b**** but that he liked that.”

“In 8th grade I once asked a boy what his opinion on leprechauns was. That moment became the last time I opened a Seventeen magazine to look for dating advice.”

“One time I was over a guy’s house after we went on a date and I had been chewing gum and blowing bubbles. Basically, he asked if there was a way he could get me stop chewing that gum (very suggestively) and because I was so nervous I told him no.”

“I usually do this thing that when I’m flirting with a boy and we’re walking while doing so, I literally fall and wipe out. I have the bruises to prove it.”

“One time some guy called me beautiful and I was like, “I guess you’re alright” in the most deadpan way. It was just my automatic sarcastic response, and we never spoke again.”

“One time a guy leaned in to kiss me while I was up against a wall, so I just slid down the wall to safety.”

“Once at a New Year’s party a kid asked me to go into the other room with him and all I could do was stare with my jaw dropped…and then I turned around and ran away as he stood there. Alone. Looking at me running away. We haven’t spoken since.”

Photo Credit: 1

Elaine is a food loving, FRIENDS watching, Oxford comma enthusiast who has a passion for writing. She is a Business Information Systems and Human Resources Management double major and shares a love for people, languages, and technology. When she isn't experimenting in the kitchen or posting on @AndAChocolateDrizzle, she is either reading, laughing, or venturing through the city on the hunt for the best slice of pizza. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt