Five Feminist Shirts for Your Fourth Wave Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

“How many feminists does it take to change a light bulb? None, they can’t change anything.”

“Want to hear another joke? Women’s rights.”

And my personal favorite, “How do you know God isn’t a woman? Because we’re humans, not sandwiches.”

1. Your Sexist Jokes

I’m sure some of us choose to politely laugh along with those who think these anti-feminist one-liners are entertaining, while some of us simply roll our eyes. If you’re like me, you avoid the person who made these jokes at all costs in the future. It’s not that I can’t take a joke, it’s that I usually only laugh at things that are funny and/or original. Sexist jokes fit neither of those standards, since I’ve heard many of them a thousand times in my life thus far. This beautiful sea green racerback tank shows off your antagonism towards feminist jokes perfectly, and its super cute design is succinct, yet impactful. Practical for everything from workouts to a quick lunch date at Chipotle, this is something I would love to have in my wardrobe.

2. Stop Telling Women to Smile

When you’re feeling spiritually homeless and fashion-chic, black and white is the classic combo. It always seems to be an elegant choice, and it makes a sophisticated statement. The best part about this t-shirt, aside from its versatility and comfort, is that it addresses a serious issue. Women face sexual street harassment on the daily—just check out the stories and stats on Twitter @EverydaySexism. A common phrase street harassers like to use is something along the lines of “Why don’t you give me a pretty little smile, babe?” Even seemingly benign comments like this are insulting and contribute to a greater overarching problem.

3. A Woman’s Place 

Women compose 17 percent of the seats in Congress, but they hold 50 percent of the seats in humanity. In state legislatures, women hold 24 percent of positions. Out of 44 presidents, women have composed 0 percent. So, when somebody utters, “A woman’s place is in the house,” they might not mean it maliciously. But even without harmful intent, it translates to imbalance in the political sphere. This comfy pullover sends a great message—women in politics can only be better for this country. A single group of people making decisions for everybody isn’t a good idea, and we, as women, can change that. 

4. Go Marriage Equality

Graphic prints and this beautiful maroon color are trendy; and luckily, human rights never fade away from being important, so who wouldn’t want this snuggly, clever tee? It isn’t just a silly picture, it’s not a depiction of a sexualized women, it’s not a vintage tee of a band you’ve never heard of—it’s much better. The Ally Coalition sells these to raise money for their cause, giving you another chance to spread awareness. Stick that ring finger up, because gay rights are human rights. The LGBT movement is deeply intertwined with contemporary feminism.

5. Gender Roles and Pizza Rolls

I don’t want to sit like a lady, I don’t want to give up a career to have children, and I don’t want to obsess over my appearance to please random men. What I really want to do is shove various forms of pizza into my mouth as fast as possible. And now, we can have a pullover that articulates exactly that in a rhyme-y, fashionable method. I think it speaks for itself. 

Source

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt