This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Saying “I love you” for the first time is hard. You wonder if the time is right, what the other person will say and if you both are ready to profess your love. Other times, the words just come out of your mouth as if it is the most natural thing to say. Either way, saying “I love you” is a big step and the girls at Her Campus Pitt are here to share some of the cutest, funniest, and awkward stories.

“The first time someone ever said I love you to me was my first serious boyfriend my freshman year of high school. We had been dating two weeks, and it was the night of our first kiss. However, it was after he went home from my house- he messaged me on Facebook! Like the idiot freshman I was though, I said it back. Looking back, I should have told him to tell me in person, or even better told him we’ve only been dating for two weeks!” –Anonymous

“So I started dating my love in February of freshman year. I went home to New Jersey for the summer and I was missing him like crazy and I just kind of realized I loved him. I’m pretty sure he had the same realization, but neither of us wanted to say it over the phone. I came out to Pittsburgh to visit a few weeks into May and I stayed with my friend who was living in Towers. We were laying on the floor of one of the common areas and he looked at me and said ‘I think I love you’ to which I responded ‘You THINK?’ And then he said ‘Hannah, I am madly in love with you.’ We were really corny about how ‘in love’ we were for a while, (we aren’t nearly so lovely dovey now) but it was really cute.” –Hannah Ayars

“The first time someone ever told me they loved me was IN FIFTH GRADE over instant messenger and I was like ew what and proceeded to say things like ‘luv ya’ from that point forward because I knew I didn’t actually (given I was 10) and saying ‘luv ya’ seemed less committal lol. I didn’t actually say ‘I love you’ until I was 17, and I don’t know if I ever truly meant it until college.” -Anonymous

“I told my bf that I loved him like two weeks after we started dating because it was one of those things, I just knew. He said it back but told me love wasn’t something that snaps into place, it grows. And I asked him for an example and he said ‘well how do you know you have a house?’ And the first thing that came to mind was ‘well, when you have to start kicking out squatters, probably.’ He thought it was the most ridiculous answer ever and so its become a cute inside joke between us.” –Katie Milliken

“And so begins my slight commitment issues: My first boyfriend told me he loved me after we had been dating for about a month. I was 16. Basically, I completely panicked and froze up. I remember everything going black and white for a second. Pretty sure I didn’t respond for a good five minutes (poor kid) eventually I was just like ‘Umm, I don’t think I’m ready to say it back yet, but thanks.’ He took it really well and said he didn’t regret telling me. I eventually said it back to him a few months later. But yeah basically I’m just a heartless, soulless piece of stone haha.” -Anonymous

“I knew I loved my boyfriend after about a month when he helped me take care of one of my best friends when she was pretty messed up. Throughout and after, he witnessed me have a major freak out, but instead of running away, he drew me in and hugged me super tight, not letting go for a long time. I didn’t end up telling him for the longest time, though, because our relationship was going really well and I didn’t want to freak him out. Finally one day we were cuddling and I said it, but assured him its okay if he didn’t feel the same way, which he didn’t think he did at the time. Fast-forward about two months later, when we were both a little tipsy and I told him again and then proceeded to say ‘I know you don’t think you love me, but I know you do’ and he replied ‘I love you too.’”   –Anonymous

“The first time I told a guy I loved him and meant it was last year. We met at work and we’re pretty much inseparable for the month before I went home for the summer. We texted all day everyday all summer and when I came back for school, things seemed to pick back up right where we left them. We’d spent plenty of nights together, but never really hooked up. When I asked him if we ever would, he asked me why I’d even want to (his self-esteem issues were as bad as his commitment issues). Before I realized the words were tumbling out of my mouth, I told him I loved him. We haven’t really talked since and I try not to think about him often, but I sometimes wonder if he ever thinks about me.” -Anonymous

“My current boyfriend told me he loved me as we were kissing like two weeks into the relationship. I basically pulled back and said ‘try again later.’ It was his first relationship so I think that pretty much explains the craziness. Then, a couple months into it, we were probably ready to actually say it, and I got a little tipsy and saw him after a night out with my friends. I told him, ‘I want to say something to you but you have to say it first.’ And he did.” –Casey Schmauder

Junior Fiction Writing and English Literature double majors Italian Studies minor Fun facts: I love all things Italy! My last name even means bread and my friends call me toast. My spirit animals are unicorns, mermaids or Hello Kitty(:
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt