Feminist Porn: Getting Equal by Getting Off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Disclaimer: While this article is written from a slightly heteronormative point of view, it’s important to note that feminist porn aims to appeal to all genders and sexualities! 

Alright collegiates, let’s talk about porn. There is no shame in watching it, especially in this day and age. The feminist movement, having been recognized, has been gaining more equality for women, which includes embracing their sexuality and the right to have (and enjoy) sex. Pornography is a useful tool in a woman’s sexual toolbox! HC Pitt has discussed before how beneficial female masturbation and orgasms are, and porn is a helpful way to get there. So is there actually anything wrong with watching it? Yes, there is. While you shouldn’t be ashamed of enjoying pornography, you should know what exactly you’re watching and how it’s shaping your views on what sex is. This brings about the concept of feminist porn.  

Most porn is made by men and for men. You may not be embarrassed to admit you’re watching porn today, but are you really enjoying the porn you’re watching if it’s not made with you in mind? Pornographic sex is not real sex (at least I hope it’s not your real sex) because it only focuses on men’s pleasure. Sex is a mutual act and should result in mutual pleasure. This is why female porn stars are some of the best actresses around, because they’re most likely not actually getting any pleasure out of what they’re filming. How could they possibly be truly orgasming if the main focus of the director was what angle to point the camera at in order to receive a frame that is majority vagina and doesn’t even show the man? Even “lesbian porn” (by this I mean the lesbian category, not actual porn made for lesbians – because let’s be real that’s also an area that needs to be improved) is made to appeal to straight men. A great example of all these problems is this video of lesbians reacting to lesbian porn:

Feminist porn fixes these issues. Instead of treating women as objects for which men can act sexually upon, these videos showcase both partners equally. Both bodies are fully shown, not just the woman’s as filmed by a disconnected man’s presence. By actually filming two consenting partners, women are seen as equal participants in sex. They are not objects for men to use to fulfill their fantasies and desires. The idea behind this presentation is that what is being shown is actual sex – not a performance. This porn is not aiming to be like that “female-friendly” category which tries (but fails) to include women in pornography audiences. It similarly includes more scenes showing intimacy other than intercourse, such as kissing or shows of passion that would be experienced between real couples. It should be enticing to both men and women because it’s what they’re really doing. 

The movement behind feminist porn gained its roots in the 1980s and reached momentum in the 2000s when the Feminist Porn Awards were established in efforts to spread awareness. The criteria for these awards provides one of the best definitions for feminist porn: “In order to be considered for a Feminist Porn Award, the movie/short/website/whatever must meet at least one of the following criteria: 1)  A woman had a hand in the production, writing, direction, etc. of the work; 2)  It depicts genuine female pleasure; and/or 3) It expands the boundaries of sexual representation on film and challenges stereotypes that are often found in mainstream porn,” (Feminist Porn Awards Criteria 2006). Women are taking control by being part of the industry in positions other than performers. 

Porn is important to the way our society views sexuality. Especially in this era of technology where young boys have instant access to these videos that show them their first glimpses at sex. But what they’re being taught is wrong. They’re learning to degrade women by seeing them as nothing more than sexual objects. They’re not being shown how to actually please a woman, nor are they shown that women are as deserving of pleasure as men. Changing this learning curve is only one of the beneficial side effects of feminist porn’s growing presence. What’s most important is that women are finally getting the sexual rights they deserve and are taking back control of their own sexuality. 

Information Source: 1

Photo Credit: 1, 2

BA in Communication and Business Certificate in Digital Media University of Pittsburgh 2016   HC Pitt Business Manager & Social Media Manager 2015-2016 I like sleep and pop culture. @laurnace | laurnace@gmail.com *Opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect Her Campus or Her Campus Pitt as a whole nor do others' opinions necessarily reflect my own. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt