Demi Lovato World Tour: A Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

“How yinz doin’ tonight?” drawled 22-year-old Demi Lovato in a shoddy Pittsburgh accent. “If I just completely embarrassed myself, that’s because someone told me that’s what you guys say here.”

On Tuesday, September  9th, 2014, Demi Lovato brought her World Tour to the Peterson Events Center. The former Disney starlight doubles not only as a songstress with massive pipes, but also a humanitarian.

The show opened with pop-rap duo, MKTO (also known as Tony Oller and Malcom Kelly). With high energy, the duo bounded around stage and jammed with their backup band – Oller at one point stopping to play keyboard. With synthy guitar riffs and a slapping bass, the two kept the energy high. They closed the show with their chart-topping single, “Classic,” with Oller joking, “Ohhh, so you guys know this one!?” 

In the break between acts, motivational speaker Spencer West spoke to the audience. West lost both legs at the age of five due to a genetic disorder. He travels the world and speaks about his struggles and how he overcomes them. He met Demi when she travelled to Africa in August 2013. He encouraged the audience to continue following their dreams regardless if they’re hindered or feel like they can’t overcome anything.

Next, pop songbird Christina Perri took the stage. Perri, who skyrocketed to fame after her single “Jar of Hearts” was on So You Think You Can Dance? captivated the audience with both her ballads and her more upbeat songs. Sat mostly at a piano, she sang her hits like the aforementioned pop self-love ballad, as well as her other soulful ballad, “A Thousand Years.” 

Finally, after a 45-minute break, Demi took the stage. Rocking a black, metal-looking bustier, leather jacket, and oil-slicked pants, she kicked off the show with her current chart-topper “Really Don’t Care.” She kept the crowd alive going into song after song, lights and smoke machines constantly going, and backup dancers that seemingly never stopped dancing.

She eventually slowed the show down by sitting down at a piano and simply playing – which was PHENOMENAL. According to her, she wanted to put “elements” of herself that she’s “never put into a show before,” which meant, for her, playing classical piano in front of people. She then launched into a few acoustic guitar performances, slowing down her earlier rock songs (like “La La Land”) into slower, lighter versions. 

She then launched into her version of “Let It Go,” and it seemed like everyone in the building knew the words (even the grandpa-looking security guards)!

Before her soulful, recovery-based ballad, “Warrior,” Demi talked about her experiences in Africa and how she encourages everyone to think before they complain, and to not take anything for granted. She also spoke to those in the crowd who has dealt (or are dealing) with struggles like she had (eating disorders, self-harm, substance abuse). She ensured them that they could get help and heal if they truly wanted it. 

After singing a few slower songs, Demi picked the show back up by covering “Thriller” (dance moves very much included). 

She closed the show with one of her comeback singles after rehab “Give Your Heart a Break,” followed by the more recent “Neon Lights.”

*The show was up and down on the emotions scale. From excited, to reflective, to excited, Demi Lovato is an incredible performer with a voice that is true, raw talent. Her energy and passion bleed into her performances, and that truly makes her unforgettable.

*I may or may not be obsessed with Demi Lovato.

Photo Credit: 1, 2 and Twitter and Instagram accounts @ddlovato and @cyamaria19

Entertainment Editor, Her Campus Pitt @abbystubenbort i like bands & boybands & burritos & pop culture
Hi! My name is Amanda and I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and am absolutely loving it! Helping others with advice about their articles and getting to read amazing stories has been so rewarding. I love writing about topics that make people's days just a little cheerier! Her Campus has been a wonderful experience for me over the past four years. I get to work with an amazing team every day and could not be more grateful. As a senior, looking back from where I started with Her Campus, I see how much it's changed me and all of the great friends I've made from it too. Saying HC is one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career would be an understatement! I really love how much it has grown and how much others have benefitted from their experience with our organization. HCXO <3