Dave and Andy’s Scoop of Advice: “Female Condoms, what is that?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Dear Dave and Andy,

I was hooking up with a guy that I really like last weekend and it was getting pretty serious.  I asked him if he had a condom, and he pulled out a female condom.  I am not sure how to respond to this; is he serious or is he mocking me?  I really like him and wanted to know what a guy thinks of female condoms?

Sincerely,

Really Confused

Dear ‘Really Confused,’

After doing a little research on exactly what a female condom is (because we will be honest, we were not too familiar with these before), we have decided that there is not necessarily a problem with female condoms, although it is definitely not a mainstream source of protection.  As far as your concern with this guy goes, I would very much like to assume that he is not mocking you, but that would ultimately be something that you would have to figure out.  Your best bet is to explicitly ask him how he actually feels about the female condom.  There is nothing more important in any relationship than communication; whether it is just a friend, a relative, an open relationship, or a serious relationship. If a guy genuinely likes you as much as you like him (which he should if you are going to commit yourself to a relationship), then you should be able to discuss if a female condom is an appropriate source of protection, and if you are both comfortable using female condoms or if it would be better to find another method of protection.  Still, coming from a guy’s point of view, we think it is definitely okay to use a female condom as long as both partners are comfortable.  Just remember to communicate with this guy (or any guy for that matter) about any doubts you may be having.

Your Hometown Minds of Reason,

Dave and Andy

Please submit all questions, issues, inquiries, or dating problems to Askdaveandandy@gmail.com and we will get back to you with some top-shelf advice!

Photo Source: 1

The name is Dave and I’m a lean mean advice-giving machine. Seriously though, despite my humorous demeanor, I’m a pretty down-to-earth person and I like to think of myself as being generously insightful. I’m a junior Political Science and Philosophy major at Pitt and would one day love to be a high school teacher. I love to write and I think of myself as somewhat of an intellectual, with some good advice here and there. I also enjoy a nice pair of slacks and like to wear bow ties with sweater vests. I'm a big family person; my parents, brother, and my dog Cliff Lee mean the world to me. I like the beach a lot, except I'm not a big fan of the sand or getting wet or sunburn. My best friend is Andy, he is kinda cool I guess. I write an advice column for Her Campus and possibly a few interest pieces here and there. I am looking forward to getting to hearing from all the readers/inquirers.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt