The Best Ways to Get Your Taste Buds Ready for Turkey Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Thanksgiving has come to mean a lot of things. Stuffing your stomach with delicious food, gathering around the table with the friends and family that you so dearly missed, breaking the bank for Black Friday deals, and taking a break from the stress of exams. But with so much going on, pre-Thanksgiving excitement can often be put on the back burner. When you need a reminder that the holiday is just around the corner, Oakland restaurants have made it easy for you to get a taste of Thanksgiving before the big day. Try some of these foods to get excited for the next holiday.

The Gobblerito from Mad Mex

A burrito filled with turkey, stuffing, corn and Mad Mex’s own creation of black bean potatoes, the Gobblerito is Thanksgiving in a tortilla. Covered in gravy and cranberry sauce, the Gobblerito brings out the tastes of all your Thanksgiving favorites in just one bite.

Turkey Cranberry Sandwich from Panera Bread

Sliced turkey smothered in cranberry sauce.  Two Thanksgiving classics wrapped up into one delicious sandwich.

Butternut Squash Ravioli from Panera Bread

Although ravioli is not traditional Turkey Day food, the butternut squash makes it ready for fall. Topped with Amaretti cookie crumbles (the puffy, cracked sugar cookies), this dish becomes a bowl of deliciousness.

Bagels from Bruegger’s

A great bagel place year-round, Bruegger’s Bagels gets into the holiday spirit with lots of seasonal options. Pumpkin bagels and pumpkin cream cheese, and various cranberry combination bagels are sure to get your taste buds tingling in anticipation for Thanksgiving Day.

Cast Iron Cornbread from The Porch

Served as an appetizer at the restaurant but delicious enough to be eaten as a meal, this cornbread will crumble in your mouth and leave you wanting more.

Turkey from Hello Bistro

For those of you that don’t know the popular restaurant, Hello Bistro is known for its “salad bar,” letting customers decide what delicious toppings to include in their creation. The restaurant usually offers steak as a protein option but recently switched to turkey in honor of the holiday.

Pumpkin Pie Waffle from Waffallonia

Pumpkin pie in waffle form topped with a whipped cream cheese spread- the best kind of Thanksgiving dessert.

Any Pastry from Oakland Bakery and Market

From cinnamon maple rolls, to pumpkin bread, to decorated-for-fall cakes and pastries, the Oakland Bakery and Market is the perfect place to pick up a Thanksgiving treat. To add to the holiday spirit, Oakland Bakery even decorated for the season.

Happy eating!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt