The Best Places to Get Your Hair Cut and Nails Done in Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It has been a long time since I’ve had my hair cut well. It’s so hard to find a place that does it right! I’ve been needing my hair thinned and trimmed for months, but I’ve been putting it off because I’m afraid of someone totally ruining it. Last week, I went with my roommate while she got her hair cut. They did a great job and it only cost $30! I’ve also seen so many girls with their nails done for the fall and I get jealous. My nails haven’t had any love since I went to my senior prom four years ago! I’ve compiled a list of all the best places to go get pampered according to the ladies from Her Campus Pitt.

1. Lewis Hair Salon on Walnut Street in Shadyside

This is where my roommate got her haircut! It’s a family-owned salon. The hairdresser had 10 years of experience, and a wash, cut, and blow dry was only $30! They also sold last season’s name brand nail polish for $4.99 each. I bought a pretty Essie one since it was such a good deal.

2. Puccini’s on Atwood in Oakland

This place has great reviews and it isn’t a far walk from campus. They also have a discount for college students and walk-in specials! Prices range from $25-45 depending on hair length and style.

3. Pageboy Salon on Butler Street in Polish Hill

We SWEAR that you’ll get the best dye job you’ve ever had at Pageboy’s! It’s a bit pricey ($65-100) but wouldn’t you rather have it done right than waste $40 on a bad hair dye job? They also do eyebrow waxing and tints for only $20! The inside of the salon has a cool retro vibe and the stylists are very experienced. No worries here!

4. Supercuts on Forbes in Oakland

Natalie is our favorite stylist here! With a cut priced at $16, friendly staff, and a central location, what more could you be looking for? Definitely come here if you want a trim with some nice layers!

5. Mark & Anthony’s on Craig St in Oakland

This place has 4.5/5 stars! They use designer products to give your hair a shiny healthy glow. It can be a bit pricey, but they offer you refreshments while you wait!

6. Sognatore’s on Liberty Ave in Downtown

They’ve been open for 20 years and have a very experienced staff. Prices are a bit high, starting at $35 for a blow-dry and style and going in the $135-165 for 3-dimension hair color. They also offer relaxer and Brazilian keratin treatments. Their nails are amazing! A French manicure is only $25. They also offer complimentary consultations for exact pricing.

7. M-Nails on Aiken in Shadyside

A favorite among college women in Pittsburgh! A manicure WITH a hand and arm massage is $18, while a spa manicure & pedicure is only $45! They have literally dozens of types of manicures as well as prices, so there’s definitely an option for everyone.

8. S&T on Meyran in Oakland

Multiple Her Campus Pitt girls have had their nails done here and they all loved them! A full set of acrylic nails starts at $27 and gel/shellac are only $30. They accept walk-ins Monday through Saturday!

I’m so excited to get my hair done now. I feel so special and happy when my haircut is done right! A trip to the salon always makes me feel better. Now that I know where to get my nails done, I think my roommates and I will have to spend a Saturday at a spa in Oakland or Shadyside!

Photo creds: 1, 2, 3, 4

Sarah Churchman, HC Pitt's Senior Editor, is a super senior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Computer & Information Science with a specialty in User Design! She is the reserach lead in CyREN, the school's cybersecurity lab. Along with InfoSci, Sarah is minoring in Creative Writing with a focus in poetry. She is an editor at Forbes & Fifth, a student-run magazine. She is also part of H2o church. She's obsessed with tacos, Tommy Hilfiger, and ordering things off Amazon Prime!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt