Best Pinterest DIY Organization Options

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’re anything like me, being well organized is essential to being functional. I spend a lot of time organizing and reorganizing my bedroom, desk, kitchen, backpack and pretty much anything else you can think of. I often find myself on Tumblr looking at beautifully organized desks and whatnot instead of doing homework or laundry. The problem with these wonderful havens of calm organization is that many pre-made solutions can be expensive, which certainly does not agree with my college student budget. Thankfully, there are many creative people on Pinterest who have tons of DIY suggestions for keeping your life cute and clutter-free.

1. The Cereal Box Organizer

Washi tape is all the rage right now. Not only are these organizers way cuter than one you might buy in the store, but you can also pick out the washi tape pattern you want and customize it to fit your theme or preferences. Plus, you can always re-tape it if you feel like changing it up!

2. A Magnetic Makeup Board

Here’s the thing: I love makeup. I love to have it and I love to buy it. The problem is I only use about 2% of it on a regular basis, which means that I have to dig through my entire collection that has taken over several shelves and drawers in my bedroom and bathroom. With this super easy and cheap DIY hack, you can really look like you have your life together and you’ll shorten your morning routine by the five extra minutes it takes to find anything in The Drawer (you know the one).  

3. Gorgeous Pen Holders

These soup cans make the perfect pen/utensil holder. For just a few dollars, you don’t just get a nice can of soup for lunch, but you also get a perfectly customizable solution for containing all your writing utensils in one place. That’s so much better than having them go missing or end up all over your room, right?

4. The Paint Swatch Calendar

Dry erase calendars can be really expensive, and they’re usually pretty boring in just black and white. This incredibly easy DIY calendar is inexpensive because you can get paint swatches in almost any color you want for free at most home improvement stores. You’ll save a lot of money, and all of your friends will be really jealous of your fun, practical yet colorful calendar.

5. A Cute Container for Little Things

This cute container made from a Tic Tac package and a little paint is great for holding small things that are easily lost such as bobby pins, paper clips or tacks. You won’t find yourself stepping on stray thumbtacks or hunting in The Drawer for a single bobby pin ever again!

These, of course, are only a subset of the wonderful DIY options for getting and staying organized. By repurposing old containers and products, you save money on otherwise costly storage options and you help the environment! What are you waiting for?! Get crafting!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt