Being Latina in Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I’m a Spanish-speaking Cuban woman whose family lives in Brazil, so it is a strain to find a sense of family and community here in Pittsburgh. On March 29th I went to the 34th Annual Caribbean and Latin Festival held in Posvar hall. At any given moment during the day, there were hundreds of people passing through, selling food, or dancing. Lights were strung across the ceiling and national flags were hung on every inch of the walls.

I went around asking at the tables representing different nationalities whether they felt a sense of community as a Latino/a in Pittsburgh. Many said, “yes” but that it was hard to find places to use their native language of Spanish or Portuguese. Two members of the Brazil Nuts club who were tabling at this event said that events like these are important “because they are a great way to experience the culture in a hands-on way.” A vender at the Cuban food station said, “It is a great way to try food you wouldn’t otherwise try.” But, what happens on the other 364 days of the year?

Many in attendance mentioned that they wished there were more accessible or highly marketed events like this one throughout the rest of the year; and wished that there was a stronger sense of community “outside of just friends and family.” 

Well, Pitt’s very own “Brazil Nuts” club provides a haven for those trying to learn or stay on top of South American language and culture. So, if you missed this fiesta, don’t worry. There are more events to come. Latin American Cultural Union (LACU) holds several events every year in Pittsburgh (You can find them on Facebook). Essentially, Pitt allows for a pretty cozy home away from home for us Pittsburgh Latinas. 

Photo provided by the author

Hi, I'm Sarita. I am a senior Communications major at the University of Pittsburgh. My writing topic interests include job acquisition, school survival tips, Latin culture, feminism, fashion, nutrition, and current events.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt