Ashley McCray, Boohoo Brand Ambassador

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name: Ashley McCray

Year: Senior

Major: Chemical Engineering

HC: What organizations are you involved with at Pitt?

AM: I’m currently a Resident Assistant, member of Pitt Excel, RISE, NSBE, Honors College Community Based Research Fellow, a FAME tutor, and a student worker at the William Pitt Union. I have been a part of a plethora of organizations during my time at Pitt including Pathfinders, RSA, AIChE, SHPE, SWE, BAS, ASO, NOBCChE, and I sat on the Allocations Committee for the Student Government Board.

HC: Why did you decide to become a Pitt Boohoo Style Squad Rep?

AM: I discovered Boohoo randomly last fall and have been in love with it ever since. I casually would recommend it to friends and family members. Thus, when the application opened to expose the clothing line to Pitt students, I was very excited. I want Boohoo to be on the same level as Forever21, in hopes that we can get an actual store in Pittsburgh (wishful thinking!).

HC: What does your job as a campus representative involve? What do you hope to achieve?

AM: I hope to expose Pitt students to the wonders that is Boohoo.com. The beauty of this job is that I’m genuinely excited about the product that I’m pushing. As a campus representative my job is to raise awareness of the clothing line. I believe the best way to raise awareness is to showcase the quality of the item and brand. Thus, Boohoo will be having various events and student support initiatives to not only get the name out but show the campus why Boohoo is so awesome.

HC: Any favorite items from Boohoo that are currently in your closet or that you are dreaming to own?

AM: I love my dresses I have bought from Boohoo. They are versatile. I have worn them out and about in the night scene and with a nice blazer at formal events. I can’t wait until my most recent order arrives with my fall trench coat and purse!

HC: What’s your style motto or fashion secret that you live by?

AM: I love bright colors, comfort, and cuteness. I absolutely love dresses and sweaters. So, when in doubt in the summer a dress solves all problems and in the winter pair a sweater with a scarf and you can’t go wrong! 

HC: What are some perks of being a member of Boohoo’s Style Squad? How can people at Pitt get involved with Boohoo or your involvement with it?

AM: The store credit is a HUGE perk. I already shopped at Boohoo so being given store credit to get even more stuff is all I could ever want. We are planning various events throughout the school year. In the month of November, we are hosting “When to Wear It” in Market Central. This event will be a 3 part series: Introduction of Boohoo, Fashion Mythbusters: Males, and Fashion Mythbusters: Females. The attendees will be given great tips and tricks and the opportunity to win free Boohoo items.

HC: What has been your favorite experience at Pitt so far?

AM: This is a hard question to answer because I have experienced so many great things. But, I would have to say my Pitt Excel and National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) family has definitely shaped my time at Pitt. Being immersed in a group of such phenomenal people shows me what’s possible and motivates me daily. My college experience would not have been the same without NSBE.

HC: What are your plans for the future?

AM: I plan on getting my PhD in Biological and Agricultural Engineering with a research focus on nutrient fortification for developing nations. I will continue to work for General Mills and utilize my research to expand the Partners in Food Solutions program in hopes of eradicating global food insecurity. Fast forward a few more years and I will be CEO of General Mills.

Make sure to check out Boohoo and use our Pitt specific code, PITTSTYLESQUAD3, for 25% off your orders!

Photo Credits: Celeb’s own photo, 1

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.