Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Pitt Archives

7 Movies You Need to Watch Before Halloween

By Maddie O'Connell
October 30, 2013 - 3:00pm

1. Halloweentown (1998) What it’s about: Marnie Piper and her two younger siblings accidentally discover their magical abilities the night of Marnie’s 13th Halloween. When they follow their eclectic grandmother Aggie back to her mysterious hometown to find out more about their genetic witchcraft, they discover she lives in another dimension called Halloweentown, only to find that an evil spirit has been wreaking havoc on the normally spook-tacular village.  READ MORE

Steph’s Suite Sounds: Halloween Edition

By Stephanie John
October 30, 2013 - 12:00pm

Welcome all music lovers and participants alike!  Your music library is a collection, and I intend to help you expand it, one step at a time.  The musical term suite pertains to a loose collection of instrumental compositions.  I love sharing the new songs/artist/bands etc. that I discover, as well as those I absolutely respect and think people need to know about.  So welcome to the suite, keep an open mind, and I hope you enjoy this week’s feature(s)…   READ MORE

I Wanna See You Workout for Me: Top Ten Songs to Get You through That Impossible Workout

By Jessica Iacullo
October 30, 2013 - 10:00am

I like to consider myself an athletic person…for the most part. I try (really really hard) to exercise everyday, but with so much going on it seems somewhat impossible. So when I do manage to get myself to the gym, I try to work as hard as I possibly can. However I’ve found that with the wrong music, that last cardio session of my workout stands no chance of happening. For example, take your goal of running a mile in six minutes. Just as you hit that final tenth of a mile, ‘Wrecking Ball’ comes on and all hope is essentially lost. You were this close. To assure you make your goal next time around, here is a list of the top 10 songs to get you through those dreaded final minutes....

When To Call It Quits

By Vanessa Fishel
October 29, 2013 - 7:00pm

We have all been there. After the honeymoon phase has ended in a relationship, we start to notice little “quirks” in our significant other that we aren’t too sure we like any more. As time goes on, you realize you can no longer ignore them. The important question is, are these problems healthy? When figuring this out, you must first ask yourself these questions: 1. Is he/she worth it? 2. Are you still willing to emotionally invest your time in him/her? 3. If the two are of you are arguing, are the arguments reasonable? READ MORE

Sweeten Up Your Life With Monk Fruit in the Raw!

By Pitt Contributor
October 29, 2013 - 3:15pm

All those unhealthy sugars you’re adding into your coffee can really add unwanted calories to your diet.  Now, you can enjoy foods and beverages without all the added sugars and calories with Monk Fruit In The Raw, from the makers of Sugar In The Raw.            Monk Fruit In The Raw is an all-natural, zero calorie sweetener with a sweet and simple sugary taste.  You won’t know the difference! It’s made from monk fruit, a vine-ripened fruit from Southeast Asia. READ MORE

Steph’s Suite Sounds: “A Funky Perspective”

By Stephanie John
October 29, 2013 - 3:00pm

Welcome all music lovers and participants!  Your music library is a collection, and I intend to help you expand it, one step at a time.  The musical term suite pertains to a loose collection of instrumental compositions.  I love sharing the new songs/artist/bands etc. that I discover and think people need to know about.  So welcome to the suite, keep an open mind, and I hope you enjoy this week’s features. READ MORE

Top 13 Halloween Costumes of 2013

By Kaely Elsasser
October 29, 2013 - 12:00pm

The spooky season is now upon us. Halloween is right around the corner, and a panic has stricken this country. Everywhere, people are flustered trying to come up with a brilliant costume that will not only show a keen sense of humor, but a strong handle on current events. Your worry stops here, with the top 13 Halloween costumes for this year. 1) Miley Cyrus’s Tongue. She can’t stop, and won’t stop showing it off; so why not embrace it and let your friends spend the night dancing with Miley(‘s tongue)?   READ MORE

Her Campus Pitt President: Nahja Martin

By Adéla Smehlik
October 29, 2013 - 10:00am

This weeks Campus Celeb, is none other than our own Her Campus president, Nahja Martin. When she's not doing a million things for Her Campus Pitt, she's also involved in other organizations across campus. Get to know the wonderful lady that helps make Her Campus Pitt run smoothly! Year:  Senior Major: Political Science and Spanish Minor Hometown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania  HC: So you’re graduating this year! Any plans? READ MORE

How to Avoid Cultural Appropriation in Your Halloween Costume

By Lauren Nace
October 28, 2013 - 7:00pm

It’s almost time for Halloween, and the best part of Halloween in college is that you get to celebrate it with a different costume every night of the weekend. Ironically, this is also the worst part. Now you have to come up with more than one costume. I always struggled enough deciding what to be for one night. It’s a good thing there are so many options ranging from traditional costumes to gag outfits or pop culture references. Just remember that it’s all too easy to cross the line in costume design and become that offensive party-goer no one wants to be around. This happens when someone’s costume appropriates culture. To understand this, you should know that cultural appropriation has to do with power....

Get Spooked at Haunted Holland

By Tera Sabatino
October 28, 2013 - 3:00pm

It’s that time of year again when we scramble to find Halloween costumes and freak out when Halloweentown is on TV! Along with the awesome throwback movies, this season also hosts the annual event, Haunted Holland. On October 31st, spend part of your Halloween night exploring the underground tunnels of Holland Hall while the girls of Holland portray your worst childhood fears. I mean who wasn’t terrified of Chuckie when they were little?! Whether you are someone like me who is scared of everything (like I literally cannot even watch Pretty Little Liars-I find it too scary) or a haunted house junkie, come out to Haunted Holland and the Quad on Halloween night and enjoy various fall snacks, games, and pumpkin painting....