Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Pitt Archives

Pittsburgh Folk Festival

By Katie Crivellaro
April 19, 2013 - 12:00pm

Who: The Office of Cross Cultural and Leadership Development and the World Culture Education Consortium are joining forces to bring Pitt students a folk music festival from around the world!
What: This day long event will take place as the 56th Annual Pittsburgh Folk Festival, specifically entitled “Go Around the World in an Hour.” Provided with music and cultures from across the globe, the festival will include a cultural scavenger hunt, the chance to win tickets to the Civic Light Opera, and more! With continuous live entertainment, cultural exhibits, and various cuisines, this event is sure to broaden your horizons, fill your stomach, and lighten your mood!
Why: Free food and great music during finals week – what could be better?!...

Maintaining the Weight You Lost for Spring Break

By Jasmine Johnson
April 19, 2013 - 10:00am

Weeks before spring break, the gym at the Pete was packed with women, and I had to wait in line for the elliptical and the weight machines. With spring break approaching everyone was trying to get in shape to hit the beach. But what about when break is over?  We have six weeks left in the semester, and in those six weeks, all the weight you lost could come back.   READ MORE

The Cosmic Shift: Change in Friendship Dynamics

By Nikki Abban
April 18, 2013 - 8:00pm

Some may say that college is the best four years of your life. We experience so many things together, and the best part is that we don’t have to do it alone.  We have a group of friends, or sometimes just one friend, that is right there with us through it all. But what happens when that person isn’t there? It’s crazy how someone can be your closest friend and all of a sudden you two don’t click as much as before or maybe they just found other people to hang out with instead. It can be such a disheartening feeling when friendship dynamics change and you can no longer connect with that person the same way.  The following are some common situations I have experienced and seen in my college experience....

A Must Watch: What Would Ryan Lochte Do?

By Jennifer Shaheen
April 18, 2013 - 6:00pm

I have a confession: I’m a fan girl of the Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte. I’m a faithful member of Lochte Nation, and I say “JEAH!” Judge me all you want, but I have no regrets; I love Ryan Lochte. When I heard that E! gave him his own reality show, you could say I went into full fan-girl mode. What Would Ryan Lochte Do? is going to air on April 21st- cue the high pitch screaming. READ MORE

John Peabody '15

By Lauren Mayurnick
April 18, 2013 - 3:00pm

Name: John Peabody ‘15 Hometown: Drexel Hill, PA Major: Molecular Biology Relationship Status: Single Zodiac Sign: Aquarius HC: Why did you choose PITT? JP: I chose PITT because they are a research oriented school that had a strong athletics program. HC: What do you want to do when you graduate? READ MORE

Take a Study Break with These Youtubers

By Mavis Salomon-Lowden
April 17, 2013 - 8:00pm

I live on YouTube. I wish I was kidding, but I’m not. As finals approach, I am spending more time on it than ever! Here are some awesome YouTubers you should check out when you need a “break” from studying. 1. Like hot British twins? Check out JacksGap! 20-year-old brothers, Jack and Finn, travel around the world and talk about their life. To be truthful,  I just look at their faces. While you are there, stare at the faces of their funny friends too; PointlessBlog, MarcusButlerTV, Dicasp, SprinkleofGlitter, Zoella280390, SamPepper, MazziMazz, SawyerHartman, Jim Chapman, iamcyr, ThatcherJoe, and Tanya Burr. READ MORE

Tattoos, Taboo, and Tolerance

By Stephanie John
April 17, 2013 - 3:00pm

READ MORE

Why You Shouldn’t Just “Suck It Up”

By Lindsay Franko
April 17, 2013 - 10:00am

In today’s society, crying has become a sign of weakness; and I have been told one too many times to just “suck it up” and control myself. I’m sure you have been told this at one point in your life as well. Although it is “acceptable” for women to cry (they’re more emotional, they say), men are held to a higher standard and have been told (trained even) since birth that “there’s no crying in baseball.” Men are supposed to be strong! Men don’t cry! But sometimes, you just can’t contain your emotions: everyone has their breaking point. Sometimes you have to let it all out and deal with the repercussions; the snide remarks you might receive. But what if I told you that crying is actually good for you? Would that change how you felt the next time you needed a...

Breast Cancer: What You Need to Know

By Katie Piscopio
April 16, 2013 - 8:00pm

We all know about cancer and how it is one of the top causes of death among Americans, yet within the topic of “cancer” lies hundreds of different kinds, ranging in severity.  Breast cancer is known worldwide as a serious cancer that affects thousands of women each year; it is the most common cancer among females in the United States, and is the 2nd leading cancer that causes death.  Millions of women develop it, millions of women beat it, and millions of people don’t survive it. READ MORE

Katie Kramer Keeps it Classy with Pearls

By Ally Stevens
April 16, 2013 - 3:00pm

Freshman business student Katie Kramer is rocking pearls on a beautiful Wednesday in Oakland. Her J.Crew dress and taupe Longchamp tote make for the perfect spring combination. READ MORE