Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Pitt Archives

Dry, Accident-Free Nails for the On-the-Go Fashionista

By Stephanie John
October 14, 2013 - 10:00am

You’ve just finished painting your nails, everything looks perfect, and you suddenly have the urge to go to the bathroom or eat a snack. Maybe you have somewhere to be, but didn’t realize how long it would take you to do your nails, and now you need to get dressed and out the door!  But wait! Those gorgeous nails you just painted, the awesome designs you just tried out… What’s a girl to do?  READ MORE

5 Tips For Making the Perfect Party Playlist

By Khadija Kalokoh
October 11, 2013 - 7:00pm

Whether you’re throwing a house party, a mixer, or just kicking back with friends, it’s always important to have an awesome music playlist! Here are some tips to get your shindig off to the perfect start: 1.      Know what will get people on the dance floor. Selecting songs that you know will get people up and dancing is one of the most important steps to making a decent playlist. If you’re stuck, try browsing iTunes, Billboard, or music blogs to see what records are on the charts. You can also listen to the radio for inspiration; and don’t forget to mix in your own favorites! READ MORE

Is It Too Soon for Uggs? Don’t Let Pittsburgh’s Weather Fool You

By Jessica Iacullo
October 11, 2013 - 3:00pm

It is now October… cue the overly used “wow-I-can’t-believe-it’s-a-new-month-already” phrase. School has been in full swing for over a month, and as a freshman, I can now confidently say that I have adjusted to college life pretty well… except for, as you may have also experienced, the unpredictable weather. Being from New Jersey, the weather I am used to is not so sporadic. A heads up from Mother Nature is usually given when the weather is officially going to change, and because of this, you know when it’s the right time to put away those high-waisted shorts and replace them with your just-tight-enough-but-still-breathable dark wash skinny jeans. READ MORE

A Girl’s Guide to Second Day Hair

By Lexi Surunis
October 11, 2013 - 10:00am

Every girl knows that it’s a pain in the butt having to wash their hair every single night.  Along with washing hair comes the tedious task of blow-drying and styling it…which is the last thing someone wants to worry about when they have to be up for their 8 a.m. class the next morning!  Wouldn’t it be nice to have ways to make your hair look great even if it has been a couple of days since you last washed it? Well, your prayers have been answered! Here are some cute and easy ways to make your second day hair look fabulous. 1.  The Side Braid READ MORE

Lead in Lipstick, Aluminum in Antiperspirants—What’s Wrong With Our Cosmetics?

By Madelyn Kasula
October 10, 2013 - 7:00pm

Recently, I stumbled upon an interesting BuzzFeed article (please don’t immediately ignore me because I mentioned BuzzFeed) about popular cosmetic products that you should stop using on your skin and hair. The main reasoning behind avoiding each product (all of which were pretty general categories, like henna hair dye, antiperspirants, and mineral makeup) was that they all contain some dangerous chemical or another, usually a heavy metal that occurs naturally in very small dosages, but is toxic when concentrated and can build up inside your body over time. READ MORE

Dylan Abbott, '15

By Alex Rose Roden
October 10, 2013 - 3:00pm

Name: Dylan Abbott Major: English Literature Hometown: Cannock, UK Relationship Status: In a Relationship (sorry girls!) HC: What brought you to Pittsburgh? DA: My insatiable appetite for fries in sandwiches. And bridges. Also, the opportunity to live and study within a large(ish) city was too good to miss. I’m used to fields, animals, and entire villages which smell of hay – I wanted a change.   READ MORE

Rate Guys with the App Lulu

By Mavis Salomon-Lowden
October 10, 2013 - 10:00am

Alright, ladies! We can rate guys starting—well secretly we have been forever—but now we can share our ideas on the guy with anyone with a smartphone. Lulu: It’s the app where friends, exes, family, and strangers can rate guys anonymously. This may sound super shallow and well, it is, but it’s surprisingly fun. READ MORE

Dave and Andy's Scoop of Advice: “Female Condoms, what is that?”

By Dave Rogers Jr., Andy McCormick
October 9, 2013 - 7:00pm

Dear Dave and Andy, I was hooking up with a guy that I really like last weekend and it was getting pretty serious.  I asked him if he had a condom, and he pulled out a female condom.  I am not sure how to respond to this; is he serious or is he mocking me?  I really like him and wanted to know what a guy thinks of female condoms? Sincerely, Really Confused Dear ‘Really Confused,’ READ MORE

Dance Etiquette in the Twerkieth Century World

By Milo Gunasinghe
October 9, 2013 - 3:00pm

Let me start by stating that this is not another article influenced by the recently skyrocketing dance move, ‘twerk.” In an ideal world, I would like to believe that most guys have the same opinions that I do; but I know that I’m heavily outnumbered, especially in this country. Consider this article a much needed dance guideline. READ MORE

7 Things NOT To Do on a University Facebook Group

By Khadija Kalokoh
October 9, 2013 - 10:00am

Between on-campus clubs, RA groups, and that admitted freshmen page you haven’t visited in 3 months, exercising proper Facebook group etiquette may sometimes be a bit of a challenge. Fear not collegiettes, here are some common faux pas to avoid on any University Facebook group.
1. Don’t post everyday. READ MORE