Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Pitt Archives

My Quarter Life Writing Crisis: A Read for Writers

By Claire Peltier
October 23, 2013 - 3:00pm

Most of the time, I hate what I’m writing.  Last week, I handed in some paper about electronic literature and why it frustrated me to click through hyperlinks.  I wrote that I didn’t get anything out of it.  The week before that, I wrote a 1,000 word installment describing the time I spent on spring break in Laos.  I have 9,000 words to go and I still hate what I’ve written so far.  READ MORE

In the Know: Zen Pencils

By Nikki Abban
October 23, 2013 - 10:00am

Everyone once in a while, when we decide to hunt through the wonderful Internet, we find ourselves on websites such as Tumblr, Pinterest, and other time-wasting sites. Recently, I was introduced to a site that was actually useful, fun, and even inspirational. This site is called Zen Pencils. It was created by freelance cartoonist Gavin Aung, who decided to make a cartoon blog after working in the graphic design industry. READ MORE

Saying Hello to College Hookups: What You Need to Know

By Jessica Iacullo
October 22, 2013 - 7:00pm

I like to think that I have adjusted pretty well to college life. I’ve made new friends, I go to my classes, and I even do my homework. I’ve also embraced the new independence that comes with leaving my hometown and coming to live in a city I barely know. So far, so good. Except for one thing: boys. Being a former private school girl, I have been immersed in an academic culture consisting of only girls for all of my high school experience. Yes, I had boys that were friends and even some that were more than friends, but I am still in a slight sense of awe that I have boys in my classes, in my dorm, where I eat… they’re everywhere. It’s actually a bit overwhelming. READ MORE

What I’ve Learned at 19

By Khadija Kalokoh
October 22, 2013 - 10:00am

For most, nineteen may not be a big year, but for me it was a particularly interesting one. Up until now, I’ve learned so much from parents, friends, and my own experiences, that I can say I’m much more of an adult now than I was when I turned eighteen. Here are a few tidbits of wisdom I’ve come across in my nineteen years. Don’t sweat the small stuff. READ MORE

FWB: Maintain It, Develop It, or Let It Go?

By Milo Gunasinghe
October 21, 2013 - 7:00pm

College is a time to explore and have new experiences. We have all heard that at least a few dozen times in the past year, and what better way to fulfill this than by reliving the experiences felt with Justin Timberlake or Ashton Kutcher? …yes you can pick both. If you haven’t figured it out yet, a FWB relationship is truly a different experience to the usual relationship, especially with the “right” guy. READ MORE

6 Tips for Running Safely in the City

By Lydia Smith
October 21, 2013 - 3:00pm

Last week I had the unfortunate experience of tripping on the sidewalk during a run. It was 6:00 AM and still dark. I stumbled over a crack and skidded along the ground, scraping my hands, a knee, and an elbow. When I stood up, I could hardly walk and I was still a mile from my apartment. I forgot my ID to take the bus so I had no choice but to walk the rest of the way home. I realized I was slacking on a number of safety precautions. Every time you go on a run, especially in the city, remember to put safety first. By following a few easy rules, you can be sure to always stay safe while getting in a good workout. 1. Run with a friend. READ MORE

What do you think of the new Peet's Coffee & Tea shop on Forbes?

By

Dave and Andy's Scoop of Advice: Slutty Halloween Costumes

By Dave Rogers Jr., Andy McCormick
October 18, 2013 - 7:00pm

Dear Dave and Andy, As you know, Halloween is right around the corner, and I was having some issues with a costume.  I want to look really cute and find a costume that works for me, but I also have a boyfriend and don’t want him to think I am dressing too slutty in public.  I just need some help trying to find the happy medium between looking cute and not pissing off my boyfriend.  Maybe I just haven’t figured it out, but it seems nearly impossible.  Please help me figure this out before Halloween! Sincerely, ‘I’m A Mouse… Duh’ READ MORE

Subtweeting: How to Lose Followers & Alienate People

By Courtney Lubin
October 18, 2013 - 5:00pm

For those of you who are out of the loop, the term “subtweet” refers to a tweet that is about someone or meant for someone to see without actually mentioning the person’s username or his or her real name in the tweet. It’s an abbreviation for “subliminal tweet.” Most of the time these are basically used as a way to publically gossip about someone. Here are some reasons why you should not subtweet. Ever. 1. It’s immature. READ MORE

5 Easy DIY Halloween Decorations for your Dorm Room

By Katie Piscopio
October 18, 2013 - 3:00pm

Want to decorate your dorm room to get in the spirit of Halloween but don’t know where to start? There are so many ways to decorate your room with simple crafting products, rather than going to buy decorations. Here are five simple, cute, and different ways to decorate your dorm room and make it look awesome for Halloween! READ MORE