Active Cities is the Website You Didn’t Know You Needed This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

After another long Pittsburgh winter, summer is finally approaching. More Pitt students slowly but surely emerge from their deep, dark caves each day to face the slightly warmer outside world. However after many icy months, Oakland residents have a problem on their hands: what do we do in this nice weather? 

Luckily, Active Cities creates a solution. The interactive website will effectively get you out of sloth-mode by helping you explore the Steel City in the healthiest ways possible. It seems like Pittsburgh only knows two weather conditions – cold, or rainy. Cue seasonal depression and an extra layer of hibernation fat. It’s no wonder the sun’s appearance has students blinking in confusion. This site can work as a tool for Vitamin D deprived yinzers eager to get outside during those longer and sunnier summer days. 

Active Cities provides a comprehensive guide to all things local and active. Users can choose between several categories depending on interest and location. Unsure of what you’re looking for? The directory will provide you with ample activity ideas and inspiration. Options include common sports like basketball, leisurely activities like bowling, extreme sports like skydiving, and so on. If you’re looking for a dog park, a yoga studio, a fitness club, or a place to buy corn hole, look no further. Anyone can find something of interest among the 61 different activities. 

Those who already know what they want can click on the corresponding module to continue on. After selecting the activity, users are brought to a page of new, more specific categories. Click on the “Running” module for example, and four new lists pop up: Running Clubs/Organizations, Running/Walking Resources, Running/Walking Shops, and Local Trails. A map with pins for each referenced place appears at the top of the page. With so many neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, this map will be a lifesaver for those as directionally challenged as myself. The site is so detailed that you’ll stumble upon stores, places, and resources you didn’t even know existed. 

Active Cities can help you fill free time during summer break, find new local places, get healthy, and stay connected in an up-and-coming city. Pittsburgh recently transitioned into a place where physical activity and exploration thrive, and you won’t want to miss out on the opportunity to be a part of the healthy initiative. No better place provides such widespread information in one organized guide.

A blog under the “Read” section of the site also contains several posts for interested users to browse. As expected, the articles highlight the importance of staying healthy, list places and ways to be active, and discuss fitness news and trends. The wide range of content ensures an article for anyone’s interest. 

Active Cities is still fairly new, and continuously growing. The startup company gained momentum over the past year, and shows no signs of slowing down. Currently the cities of Pittsburgh, PA, Miami, FL, Portland, OR and Raleigh Durham, NC are available to users everywhere. However, the guide will expand to new locations in the near future. Salt Lake City, UT and Austin, TX are set to launch next, in the upcoming months. By joining in on the active initiative, and making use of such a creative and convenient website, students are guaranteed to get the most out of their summer in the city. Visit http://www.activecities.us to explore healthy activities in your area, and follow @ActiveCities on Twitter for frequent updates.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt