8 Notable Girl Bands You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Though girl bands are not as popular as boy bands, there is a great deal of successful and respected groups around the world available for your enjoyment! The great thing about girl bands is that they tend to sing empowering songs which, to be honest, are some of the best pump-up songs. Here are some notable bands (and a select number of their songs) to jam out to by yourself or with a group of your friends:

1.  Stooshe
A girl group from London, England formed in 2010 (and still active!), Stooshe has had 5 successful UK singles. The group generally plays around with the hip hop/R&B genres, but listen to their single “Slip” for some pop influence.

2.  Excellence
Excellence was a Swedish girl group created through the TV show Popstars, active from 2001-2002. They also had 5 hit Swedish singles, a lesser-known one being “What’s Up?”

3.  No Secrets
This one group is probably a flashback to your childhood if you listened to the same music as I did growing up! No Secrets was an American girl group active from 2000 to 2005. One of their hit singles was “That’s What Girls Do.”

4.  Lili & Susie
Lili & Susie are two Swedish sisters who had a number of successful singles in Sweden in the late 1980s to early 90s. Their biggest hit was “Oh Mama” in 1987.

5.  B*Witched
An Irish girl band, B*Witched was active from 1996 to 2002, and recently began a new comeback streak with new material and participation on British TV show The Big Reunion. You might recognize their song “C’est La Vie” from Disney Channel Original Movie Smart House.

6.  The Saturdays
The Saturdays is a British/Irish girl band that recently tried making it big in the United States (and had their own E! TV series, Chasing the Saturdays), but have been more successful in the UK. Their song “Disco Love” finished number 5 on the UK charts.

7.  Fifth Harmony
Fifth Harmony is another product of X Factor (the US version). They finished third and have had two singles, one of them “Miss Movin’ On.”

8.  Little Mix
Formed on the British X Factor in 2011, Little Mix became the first ever group to win the show. They just released their second album, which include the title track, “Salute”.

Girl bands tend to increase in popularity around the same time as boy bands become notable, so keep an eye out for more girl bands gaining fame and success. Unfortunately, no matter the talent of the girls, girl bands always have a difficult time gaining places on music charts. Hopefully, this list will bring acknowledgement to lesser-known pop bands and possibly convince you to pay more attention to them.

Photo Credit: 1

Fredrika is a 2015 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. While at Pitt, she acted as writer, Assistant Senior Editor, and Chapter Advisor for Her Campus and the Her Campus Pittsburgh chapter. She originally hails from Stockholm, Sweden, but has lived in the Northern Virginia area for eighteen years. Follow Fredrika on her personal Twitter, @FredrikaUS!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt