absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 of the Best Places to Eat Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Dining halls are great because they’re convenient, you’ve already paid for the food, there’s a decent variety… and that’s about it. Dining halls are a drag, but, thankfully, you’ve chosen to come to Oakland and, therefore, never have to be caught in the dining hall food slump. You get to go out and explore the royal plethora of places here to delight your taste buds. Now, don’t get too overwhelmed by the possibilities. We’ve comprised this list to help you figure out where to start.

1. Fuel & Fuddle, Oakland

Fuel & Fuddle is an American restaurant with a menu full of word play and attitude, which makes it one of the coolest places to go on campus. F&F is great for nights when you’re cramming for a test (or 3) because, 1) the food is amazing, 2) it’s open super late, and 3) the atmosphere is a little crazy, which is refreshing after spending what feels like forever at Club Hillman.

What we recommend: The pizza! The pizza is baked in a brick oven, so you get the crunchy, charred flavor of the crust mixed with whatever toppings you choose, or you can order one of the specialty pies (trust us, these guys know what they’re doing).

Bonus: After 11:00, they put out a $5 menu with some of their most popular items. It’s perfect for a college town!

2. Smallman Street Deli, Squirrel Hill

Smallman’s is perfect for a cold, rainy (so, basically, typical Pittsburgh) day. Located right on Murray Avenue, it’s easy to find and you barely have to do any walking. Just take the 61D and you’re there. Once inside, you’re overwhelmed by the massive, cluttered chalkboard menu hanging on the wall. They serve 3-4 homemade soups (changing daily) and dozens of different sandwiches, along with a pretty extensive breakfast menu that they serve all day.

What we recommend: The soup and sandwich combo (I go for the Matzo Ball soup and Nova Lox sandwich). Included are the soup, sandwich, and fountain drink for $8. Not too bad for a quality meal.

Bonus: 10% discount when you show a student ID.

3. Sushi Fuku, Oakland

Sushi Fuku is basically a Subway for sushi, but way more fun to say. Customizable sushi is fun, especially with the array of things they have to choose from. Sushi is normally a pricey treat; but with this, you get the choice of a protein, 3 other ingredients, and 2 sauces for a fraction of the price of off-the-menu sushi. So, a giant thank you to whoever came up with this concept.

Bonus: Fuku means “lucky,” which is what we are to have this place.

4. India on Wheels, Oakland

Wafting through campus is the aromatic smell of the best Indian food around, and the smell can only be from India on Wheels, otherwise known as the bright orange van on Bigelow Boulevard. For just under $6, you can get enough food to last two meals, if you can stop eating it.

What we recommend: the chicken tikka masala. It’s chicken and basmati rice in a creamy, tomato-y, magical sauce piled into a takeout container so full it could burst, all for only $5.50!

5. Conflict Kitchen, Oakland

Conflict Kitchen is certainly one of the most interesting places in all of Oakland. Prompted by current events, they serve up a menu inspired by a country the U.S. is involved in conflict with—hence the name. Currently they are offering a Venezuelan menu. The goal of Conflict Kitchen is to introduce Pittsburgh to cultures of places that we’ve certainly heard of but may not know all that much about.

6. Peace, Love & Little Donuts, Oakland

Gourmet donuts are a popular trend right now, and no one does it better than PLLD. These donuts are perfect for a small sweet treat, and the flavors they offer are genius. You can get half a dozen of the “Funkadelic” donuts for just $7 in any of their funky flavors.

What we recommend: The Maple Bacon! It’s the perfect mash-up of salty and sweet and tastes just like pancakes with bacon. Pair it with a cup of coffee and you’ve got breakfast.

7. Lulu’s Noodles, Oakland

Lulu’s Noodles is just a hop, skip, and a jump over to CMU’s campus, right behind Bellefield Hall. Coming in, you’re greeted with this really happy atmosphere, and it’s no wonder why. The food is absolutely fantastic and reasonably priced for the portion size. They also have bubble teas, which are worth the trip over themselves.

What we recommend: Thai Curry Chicken. This dish is packed with vegetables, chicken, and noodles in a sweet and creamy curry sauce. The portion is huge and only $7.50.

Pittsburgh is full of exciting (and cheap!) places to escape to when you’re tired of pizza and chicken patties. Hopefully this list can start you onto a path of culinary audacity. Don’t be afraid to try something you’ve never had or go somewhere you’ve never been! Usually that hole-in-the-wall will give you the best food experience of your life.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I've got some pretty cool scars.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt