6 Tips for Running Safely in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Last week I had the unfortunate experience of tripping on the sidewalk during a run. It was 6:00 AM and still dark. I stumbled over a crack and skidded along the ground, scraping my hands, a knee, and an elbow. When I stood up, I could hardly walk and I was still a mile from my apartment. I forgot my ID to take the bus so I had no choice but to walk the rest of the way home. I realized I was slacking on a number of safety precautions. Every time you go on a run, especially in the city, remember to put safety first. By following a few easy rules, you can be sure to always stay safe while getting in a good workout.

1. Run with a friend.

This is probably the most important rule to run by.  Running with another person can help prevent almost every single dreaded running accident: getting lost, zoning out and tripping (my mistake), pushing your limits or—worst case scenario—being approached by an attacker. There are plenty of clubs on campus you can join—like Panther Strides or Club XC—or you can even head up to the Pete and make a new friend with another regular. Eventually you two could head outside for a workout together one day.

2. Wear your hair in a tight bun.

Worst-case scenario: someone tries to approach you during a run. It’s not something to stress about, but you never want to be in a position where you appear to be an easy target. Wearing your hair in a bun can really make a difference, because long ponytails are very easy to grab. If you want to wear a ponytail, take it to the gym. Otherwise, tie it up.

3. Run towards oncoming traffic.

You always want to run towards oncoming traffic—the left side of the street. That way, you’ll have plenty of time to get out of the way if necessary. This is even more important if you run with headphones in. (Side note: remember to keep that music low!) Because you are taking away one of your senses, make sure you are paying more attention with your eyes.

4. Dress for the weather (especially Pittsburgh weather).

With the scatterbrained weather in Pittsburgh, you want to make sure you check the forecast before running. If it’s going to be long, you really don’t want to get over-heated or be too cold. You know how hot your body gets during workouts, so dress accordingly. Light running jackets are perfect for this in-between-seasons time. They don’t make you as warm as Spandex or Underarmour, but they aren’t as heavy as a cotton hoodies or crew necks. So invest in a nice jacket or check online for inexpensive running apparel. Remember to buy bright colors! Neon is a safe runner’s best friend.

5. Carry pepper spray.

Again, nothing to stress about, especially if you’re following Rule #1. But you still want to be able to defend yourself. Amazon sells pepper spray for joggers for $5. They even come in fun colors that don’t make you feel like you’re carrying a weapon. The stuff they sell to people without a police badge won’t do permanent damage, but it can still make the difference in a serious situation. 

6. Map out a course (and mix it up!).

Utilize web sites like mapmyrun.com—my personal favorite—to plot out a course. This site is great because it also provides you with distances, so you don’t have to worry about getting overly exhausted on your run. Remember to mix up your courses too. When you continue to run the same course every day, you fall into a routine and become less alert. A distracted runner can get into a dangerous situation.

I’ve always preferred running outside because I get a better workout. But if you like to run at night, really early in the morning, or are hesitant to run in the city at all, remember that the gym is always the safest place to go. Challenge yourself on the treadmills by increasing your elevation and speed. Remember that being safe is the most important part of your workout.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt