6 Songs that Will Probably Make You Cry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Some days you might just want to curl up into a ball under your covers and cry. You might wrap yourself up in a blanket and trace the raindrops trickling down the window pane. You might watch your favorite tear-jerking movie with a box of tissues at hand. You may stand in the shower, sobbing your eyes out under the water stream, like they do in movies. You will probably instigate your sad thoughts by listening to depressing music, but that’s okay! Research shows that sad music actually cheers you up! (You can read more about it here at the Daily Mail.) Here’s my selection of appropriate crying music:

1.  “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion
It’s the theme song from Titanic, which is sad to begin with. Add in Celine Dion’s emotive voice and you’ve got a recipe for crying. (Skip to 2:45.)

2.  “Forever and Always” by Parachute
Just listen to the lyrics and you’ll understand why this is my go-to crying song. It’s just so freaking sad.

3.  “Whiskey Lullaby” by Brad Paisley (featuring Alison Krauss)
Whether it’s the heart wrenching melody or miserable lyrics, “Whiskey Lullaby” is probably going to bring a tear to your eye.

4.  “Home” by Michael Bublé
My freshman year roommate cried every time she heard this song. If you’re ever feeling homesick (for a place or a person), take a listen.

5.  “I’ll Stand By You” by The Pretenders
This is one of those songs that cheer me up while pulling me down. It’s extremely painful if you feel like you’re alone in something.

6.  “Hurt” by Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails cover)
This was Johnny Cash’s last single before he died (and the music video was possibly his last performance). Nine Inch Nails has stated that they think Cash’s version of “Hurt” is better than their original.

Whether you’re crying because of stress from classes or another reason, take a couple of minutes to listen to your favorite songs, whether they are sad or not. It’s amazing how magical music is in cheering you up.

Photo Credit: 1, 2

Fredrika is a 2015 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. While at Pitt, she acted as writer, Assistant Senior Editor, and Chapter Advisor for Her Campus and the Her Campus Pittsburgh chapter. She originally hails from Stockholm, Sweden, but has lived in the Northern Virginia area for eighteen years. Follow Fredrika on her personal Twitter, @FredrikaUS!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt