5 Places to Go to Escape the City This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Pittsburgh is undoubtedly an amazing place to live, and chances are one of the reasons you chose to go to college here was to immerse yourself in the bustling city life Pittsburgh has to offer. However, if you are from a small or rural hometown like myself, you may find yourself wanting to escape the noise and crowds of the city from time to time.  Fall is the perfect time to venture outside the city and explore what the greater Pittsburgh area has to offer from fall foliage, to historic architecture, to adventurous outdoor activities. The majority of these destinations are located within a 40-minute drive outside the city, so now would be a good time to hit up that friend with a car.

1. Get active in North Park

North Park is a great place to visit any time of the year, but is especially beautiful once the leaves have changed. Located about a 30-minute drive from campus in Pittsburgh’s North Hills area, North Park is so worth the trip. There are endless activities available at the park—you can’t possibly do it all in one trip! Check out the scenic lake where you can rent kayaks, canoes, rowboats, or stand up paddleboards. Feeling daring? Try out the high ropes course, complete with obstacles and even zip lining! North Park is over 3,000 acres, so even if you’re not up to the lake or ropes course, you can just explore the great outdoors on a leisurely hike through the park’s many trails. After an eventful day at the park, kick back and refuel at Over the Bar, a restaurant located in the historic North Park Boathouse! The restaurant sits right on the lake and features a huge deck, complete with a fire pit for the ultimate fall vibes while you dine.

2. Have a taste of fall at Soergel’s Orchard (warm cinnamon donuts, anybody?!)

Located in Wexford (about 35 minutes north of the city), Soergel’s Orchard is your one-stop shop for all of fall’s delicacies. The second you walk into the charming storefront your senses will be overwhelmed with the sweet scents of the bakery. Be sure to go on a day when they are serving their amazing fresh Amish donuts—they won’t disappoint. Once you’re done stuffing your face with donuts, take a lap around the country store for locally harvested seasonal produce, many of the selections being from Soergel’s family farms. Don’t leave without some homemade apple cider to bring the flavors of fall back to campus!

3. Experience Frank Lloyd Wright’s iconic architecture at the Fallingwater house

The Fallingwater house has been called “the best all-time work of American architecture,” making it a must-see attraction while you’re at Pitt. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, this home is truly a work of art. Wright used an ‘organic architecture’ aesthetic, meaning he designed things to fit into the environment around them. The Fallingwater home is nestled into a picturesque forest where it is literally built upon a natural waterfall. This attraction is truly magical when framed by fall foliage.

4. Escape the city (without actually leaving the city) at Frick Park

Frick Park is a great outlet to explore if you don’t have a way to drive outside the city. It’s easily accessible by the city bus, so take advantage of those free rides with your Pitt ID. Even better, try out the Healthy Ride rental bikes available all over the city to get to the park and then explore the bike trails! Frick Park borders the Squirrel Hill neighborhood, which is right next to Oakland, so it’s totally doable whether you are relying on public transport or biking. Once you’re at the sprawling park you’ll forget you are even in the city!

5. Pick apples or frolic through a pumpkin patch at Simmons Farm

Simmons Farm, located in McMurray, is the place to accomplish all the quintessential fall activities on any fall-lovers bucket list. Apple Picking? Check. Hayride? You got it. Corn Maze? Of course! Pumpkin patch? It wouldn’t be fall without it!

Photo Credit: 1, 2 , 3- provided by author, 4, 5, 6

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.