This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Classes are gearing up into full swing and that leaves a lot of students, just like you and me, fighting to keep up with homework, jobs, extracurricular activities, housework and sleeping. This, unfortunately, does not leave much time or energy for cooking. By the time I get home from classes I mostly just want to take a nap. Luckily for you, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite go-to dinners for those crazy weeknights.

1. BLT Sandwiches

This is probably the easiest (and most wallet-friendly) on this list. The BLT is one of my favorite sandwiches. All you have to do is cook up some bacon, which also means you’ll probably have some left over for breakfast in the morning. Put the bacon on toast with lettuce and tomato, and voila! You have just made the world’s easiest dinner.

2. Breakfast for Dinner

Breakfast for dinner is a somewhat controversial topic, as some people really do believe that it is fundamentally wrong to eat breakfast for dinner. To these people, I’m sorry you feel that way. You’re missing out. Breakfast for dinner can be as easy or as hard as you make it. I like to make a few pancakes, scramble an egg and microwave sausage or cook bacon. (Spoiler alert: I really love bacon). If pancakes are too involved for the night you’re having, waffles are always a great option.

3. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

Your grilled cheese does not have to be anywhere near as cute as this one to be absolutely delicious. I’ll admit that I use canned tomato soup since it’s way easier, and I’m not nearly capable enough in the kitchen to make it from scratch. A grilled cheese and tomato soup dinner will leave you feeling warm and happy, and it will only take you a few minutes to complete.

4. Quesadillas

Taco Tuesday is, without a doubt, my favorite day of the week, but sometimes it’s nice to change things up. Quesadillas are great because you can make them with chicken or beef if you feel up to it, or you can just have cheese and it will still be delicious.  Put a tortilla in a pan with a little butter, add the cheese and any toppings, and let it melt. I like to serve mine with sour cream and salsa. Quesadillas make a great alternative to tacos when you get the urge.

5. Fish Sandwiches

Fish sandwiches are super easy, and I consider them to be even better than chicken patties. Breaded fish filets are available in almost any grocery store. Just bake them according to the directions on the package and you’ll have a delicious fish sandwich in less than 30 minutes. Your parents will be thrilled it’s not chicken nuggets, and you’ll feel great, as fish are known to be the best source of the omega-3 fatty acids that are crucial for your brain and body.

While cooking takes a little extra time, the benefit of getting to choose and make your own food is fantastic. Learning some basic, quick meals can make the task seem a little less daunting. Your kitchen awaits!

Photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt