4 Things to Consider Before You Ink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

You’ve spotted them while walking on the streets, on the kid sitting next to you in class, or maybe even on your own friends. Wherever you go, tattoos seem to be rising in popularity, especially among females.  Nowadays it seems that high school and college kids are always hearing about their friends getting tattoos. I know that during the transition from high school to college, I started seeing pictures of tattoos coming up all over my Instagram feed.

Despite their progress towards becoming a normality in society, tattoos still continue to be a controversial topic. Some people disagree with marking their bodies forever, whether it be because of religion or personal reasons.  Yet, future generations are jumping on the trend: according to a survey done by Pew Research Center, 36% of 18-25 year olds have tattoos.  Whether or not you’re for or against this trend, there are definitely some questions you should ask yourself before racing to get inked.  Check out what I believe to be a useful list of questions–a “tattoo checklist” that you should follow before embarking on your ink adventure:

1. Do I want to get a tattoo?

It sounds like a stupid question, but let me explain: what I mean by this question is more than just simply answering yes or no.  Have you really thought, long and hard, about if you want a tattoo?  The thing about tattoos is you can’t just wake up one morning and decide you want one- it takes a lot of consideration.  You may not think it’s a big deal marking your body, but how do you know how you’ll really feel about it in 50 years if you weren’t 100% sure about it now?  For years I’d always wanted an infinity sign tattoo; so, to test it out and be certain, I bought a bracelet with an infinity sign on it and never took it off. I loved the bracelet, but realized I wouldn’t want to have that on me permanently.  Testing out tattoo ideas, whether it be with jewelry or henna, is always a smart plan.

2. Does the tattoo mean something to me?

I’ve always been uncertain about getting a tattoo–I was intent on only getting one if it had a deep meaning to me.  When I decided to get a matching tattoo over Christmas break with my sister, a lot of people were shocked at how certain I was after only having thought about it for a few months.  To me, I knew that my sister would be in my life forever; for as long as I lived, I would never regret having it because she’s always been there for me and always would be.  So, my suggestion to anyone who wants a tattoo is to get something that you can always look at with a smile on your face, not just a pretty object or symbol that you liked at the time- because you will most likely not smile at those cherries or that bow when you’re in your sixties. 

3. Where should I get it? Would I want it to be visible?

While I do believe that tattoos are a nice expression of art and personality, they still aren’t fully accepted by society. Thus, people with tattoos tend to still face some stereotypes in society.One major issue that presents itself is during job interviews for certain professional fields: sometimes companies aren’t looking to hire a person who has art all over their body.When thinking about where to get your ink, maybe take into consideration getting it somewhere where you can hide it or cover it up.  Here are some popular places for girls to consider:

1. Hip
  2. Lower back
  3. Above the ankle
  4. Foot
  5. Rib
  6. Calf
  7. Back of the neck
  8. Inside of the wrist         

4. Should I tell my family?

Ah, the common issue for most teenaged girls who get tattoos: do you spill the beans to your family, or do you try to hide it for as long as you can?  Personally, I think it’s better to just tell them. Either way it’s permanent, they can’t do much about it, and they’ll learn to accept it eventually- over time, of course.  I didn’t know if my parents would care when I got my tattoo, but c’mon, their daughters got matching tattoos- it doesn’t get much cuter than that!  As for the rest of my relatives, some have yet to know, and some will find out while reading this article (hi guys!).  Truth of the matter is, it’s your body and your decision to make as an adult.  They may love it, or they may not approve, but either way they still love you.

Getting a tattoo is a big commitment.  If you do it right, you’ll end up with something that you’ll look at and cherish forever.  It may seem naïve to say that I’ll never regret my tattoo, but I feel that by getting something meaningful and placing it somewhere that can be covered, I won’t ever mind it.  You may be against it, or you may be waiting for the day that you can get one. Either way, be safe, do your research on places to go, and think long and hard–it will all pay off in the end!

Sources:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/…

Photo:

weheartit.com

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.
Hey, I'm Chris Baker and I just began writing for HerCampus at Pitt. I love God, my family and friends, sports, and my amazing fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi. I love to talk, write, and engage with people, in particular, I like to argue, haha. I love Pitt so if you go here and don't already know me, you should find me and get to know me! Contact me anytime at cbb17@pitt.edu,Thanks for reading!