10 Things I’m Obsessed with at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

1. Naps

I know that technically I am an “adult,” but nothing feels better than coming back from class and cuddling up in bed for an afternoon nap. Whether its 15 minutes of shut-eye or three hours, I can’t help but cherish every ounce of sleep that I get. Some people like coffee to give them energy during the day, while I prefer a quick catnap.

2. Free T-shirts

I am not down with spending all my cash here at college; so whenever there’s a table outside of the Union giving away free t-shirts, I make a bee line right to it. It could be the ugliest shirt around and a size XXXXL, but that’s $10 I don’t have to spend on a comfortable shirt to wear to the gym or to bed. You better believe that I’m going to be sprinting over to every table/event that’s giving out free t-shirts.

3. Blonde Boys

I know everyone has their own preferences, but since coming to college I can’t stop noticing blonde boys. Don’t get me wrong, there are quite a few cute brunettes around too, but I can’t go anywhere on campus without developing a new, minor crush on a blonde boy.

4. On-the-Go Snacks

When I have class all day, I really only have an hour or so to grab a quick lunch and sprint across campus before my next class. When I’m on the run to make sure I don’t get stuck in the last row of my lecture hall, it’s easier to grab a small box of cereal (my favorite being “magically delicious”), or a bag of pretzels than to wait in a 15 minute line for a sandwich in the Cathedral Café.

5. Yoga Pants and Leggings

Some argue that yoga pants and leggings don’t actually count as pants, and that not everyone should wear them; but if I was up all night writing a paper there is no way that I’m going to put on “real pants.” If you throw on a cute shirt or sweater with them you have a great outfit and can run to upper campus without being constricted by tight jeans. Yoga pants and leggings are my saving grace when I feel like being comfortable during a busy day.

6. Frugality

As I previously mentioned, since coming to college I’ve had such a hard time spending money. I have always thought that the media was exaggerating when they referred to “poor college students.” With the realization of student loans, tuition, and the limited access to cash- money has become very real. It’s hard for me to let go of $15 when my friends want to go out to eat on the weekends. Being thrifty is the only way to survive when you have little to no income.

7. The Wobble

As embarrassing as it is to admit, this silly song is one of my favorite guilty pleasures at the moment. Whenever it comes on at a football game, or any event for that matter, I can’t help but “back it up, drop it down.” This song never fails to get me up on my feet and always makes a good time.

8. Instrumental Music

If you asked me a year ago what I liked to listen to, I would have never said anything instrumental. It’s not normally my first choice, but when I’m reading chapters upon chapters out of a history book, or writing a five-page paper, I sometimes find words distracting. Listening to music without lyrics allows me to keep my train of thought focused on what I’m studying rather than the singer’s voice. I strongly recommend the band The Album Leaf if you’re looking for a new tune to add to your study playlist.

9. Dining Hall Waffles

Walking around Market Central my first week was pretty scary. I was skeptical because dinning hall food doesn’t have the best reputation. I tasted almost everything that week to see what I liked. When I walked up to the dessert area, I thought something along the lines of “oh ice cream, cool!” Then a friend suggested that I should make a waffle instead of getting ice cream, and I was hooked. There are so many different delicious toppings and add-ins, you can always make something different.

10. Studying at the library

In high school, I never really studied that much. I never thought that I had to. Since starting college classes, I’ve realized that the only way to stay on top of the material is by reading and studying. My dorm, like most, can get pretty noisy and distracting when I’m trying to buckle down. To get around this, I thought I’d try and take a trip to the library. Now during breaks from my classes, or when I have any free time, you can find me on the fourth floor of the Hillman Library or making my way down to the Cup & Chaucer for a mid-day pick me up.

Photo Credits: 1 ,2, 3 4, 5

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt