10 Pittsburgh Restaurants You Must Try This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

What better way to start the new semester off than with some good eats? The spring semester always brings about stress, cold weather, and the desire to eat some comfort foods.  If you’re looking to explore the restaurant scene beyond just Forbes Avenue, look no further! Here are some of our favorite restaurants of the month—add them to your food bucket list and get your taste buds ready!

1. Sienna Mercato.

With three levels serving different foods, this restaurant provides so many experiences in one.  The first floor, Emporio, is the “meatball joint,” where you can get four different meatballs served in your choice of nine different sauces. (If you like spicy, I recommend the Arribiatta!) Along with the meatballs, there are numerous starters and sides that are the perfect sized portions paired with the meatballs. The creamy Parmesan Mac & Cheese is to die for! The second floor, Mezzo, is an Italian restaurant that serves meats, cheeses, pasta, pizza, and all things Italian. It’s a little pricier, but delicious for a nice dinner.  Last, but not least, is Il Tetto, the rooftop beer garden, which is beautiful! Surrounded by skyscrapers, the bar has a unique view that is like none other.

2. Las Palmas (Yes, the taco stand on Atwood).

It may not be a restaurant, but it is one of the best cheap eats you can find in Oakland.  Most students don’t know about this hidden gem until they move off campus, yet Las Palmas, the taco stand on Atwood Street, is great for when you don’t want to spend much on a lunch.  The tacos are 2 for $5 and come with the choice of a variation of meat: chicken, steak, chorizo (spicy sausage), barbacoa, and more.  They use two thick tortillas on each taco so they don’t get soggy.  After paying inside the market, you can head back outside to the toppings station – my favorite part.  You can load on however many salsas, onions, and guacamole you want.  While you may not have somewhere to sit, these tacos are perfect for on the go or on your walk back home into the depths of South O!

3. The Yard.

If you’ve never been here, you’re missing out.  Located right off Walnut Street in Shadyside, The Yard is a Gastropub serving unique food – most notable are the 24 different types of grilled cheeses that are so insane they can barely be called grilled cheese.  The fan favorite is usually the “Mac Attack,” with their creamy homemade cheddar sauce, pasta, and soaked bacon lardons served between two thick slices of bread.  Who wouldn’t like the two cheesiest foods – mac n’ cheese and grilled cheese – combined into one?  They also offer take-out if you’re not interested in eating in!

4. Ali Baba.

If you’re into Middle Eastern cuisine, head to S. Craig Street for Ali Baba.  The hummus tastes so fresh and is sure to satisfy any hummus-lovers’ taste buds.  I also recommend the Mohomara and the baklava for dessert – it was a different kind of baklava than I’ve usually seen served at restaurants, but once I finished it, I wish I had another!

5. Waffallonia.

Whether you just visit the stand in Schenley Plaza or go to the restaurant in Squirrel Hill, Waffallonia is great for a decadent treat.  The Belgian waffles are served with a variety of toppings and fruits that add to the already flavorful waffle. I highly suggest the waffle with banana and nutella toppings, but each is equally delicious.  Watch out – you’ll be craving it every time you walk past on the way to Cathy!

6. Burgatory.

Perfect for filling your juicy burger and milkshake craving.  You’ll be walking out of Burgatory with a full stomach – potentially a food baby – but it’s worth it. With a location close by at the Waterfront, Burgatory has five delicious shakes, as well as five alcoholic shakes for anyone over 21.  Between the Coffee & Donuts, Caramel Pretzel, and Salted Nutella Crunch, choosing a shake flavor will be the hardest decision of your month. The burgers are huge to boot, and you can even create your own!

7. Square Café.

Located in Regent Square, Square Café will fulfill all of your brunch needs. Between the Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese Scramble and the Pumpkin Walnut Pancakes, you’ll have the best morning (or afternoon?) ever.  The menu offers a wide variety of brunch foods that you aren’t bound to find anywhere else. They also serve sandwiches, wraps, and burgers if you’re craving lunch items. Go crazy and treat yourself.

8. Yokoso Japanese Steakhouse.

If you’re looking for a fun hibachi experience, Yokoso in the Waterfront is the perfect restaurant to visit with a group of friends.  Serving both Japanese food and sushi, stop by Yokosho after a day of shopping. The chicken and steak hibachi are paired with flavorful sauces that create the perfect hibachi experience.

9. Mercurio’s.

Located on Walnut Street in Pittsburgh, Mercurio’s will satisfy your need for both grease and sweet.  They’re known for their Neapolitan pizzas that come with a variety of toppings.  Don’t leave without eating some gelato—it’s the closest gelato you can get to the true Italian experience (at least in Pittsburgh).

10. Noodlehead.

If you like spicy dishes, head over to Noodlehead on S. Higland Avenue.  Try to head over early, as the line ends up out the door around prime dinnertime! The Thai noodle dishes are served with flavorful sauces including spicy basil sauce and yellow curry coconut milk sauce.  Ranked one of the best noodle places in Pittsburgh, head on over now!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, Author’s image, 4, 5, 6, 7, Writer Jessie Iacullo, 9, 10

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt