10 Mugs as Budget-Friendly Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Giving gifts on a college budget can prove to be a challenge, since you want to get something they would love yet not have it break the bank. What I have come to realize is that everyone loves and uses mugs, regardless of if they are coffee/tea/wine in mugs type of people. What better gift to give than a personalized mug?

First, find a white mug that can be drawn on. Then, wash the mug thoroughly so the sharpie (an oil based sharpie will work best) will stick better. Decorate the mug, then bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, and you are done!

Note: You should NOT put the mug in the dishwasher to wash it (the drawings came off mine when I did this.)

Here are a few ideas to get you started:

The Punny Person: In my opinion, there is nothing better than food puns. Add that with a coffee mug, and you have me sold.

The Cat Lover: Have a friend that loves cats? Here is the mug for you! When they drink from it they can look like a cat (sort of?) like those mustaches on glasses.

The Designer: Have that person in your life that is always so put together and looks awesome all the time? Their mugs should reflect them, so adding a cool, sharp design like this is perfect!

The Science Nerd: This is for that person in your life who literally embodies science. (The chemical formula shown is the chemical formula of caffeine.)

That Lazy Friend: This is the perfect mug for that friend that seemingly never wants to go out. So, when they inevitably cancel on you for a date with Netflix, they can at least sip their tea thinking of you!

The Morning Hater: If you’ve been on Pinterest, you’ve definitely seen this mug. It’s perfect for those people who hate mornings and rely on coffee to start their day.

Your  Significant Other and/or That Couple Who Has Morphed Into One: Perfect for any couple! Especially for those pesky couples who are morphed into one, so you need to get a conjoined gift.

The Potter Head: There are a lot of cool designs that are Harry Potter related, but I find this one perfect because it is simplistic plus you get to use colors! Win win.

The Wino: For those classy college kids who are winos but don’t use wine glasses. The use of the mug is genius: more space for wine, and by using the handle your hand does not warm up the wine!

The Out There Person: This person loves kooky things, so a panda mug is perfect for them. The only thing better than that is a panda with hipster glasses.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt